Chapter Sixteen: Go Big or Go Home

"Impedimenta!"

Sparks flew sadly out of the end of Madison's wand before it went still.

"Well my leg started to fall asleep if that counts," Fred said encouragingly.

"I don't think it does," Madison grumbled as she looked around the Room of Requirement. The other DA members were successfully casting the Impediment curse on their partners and Madison couldn't manage to do anything to Fred.

Perhaps this was the catch she had been worrying about. Ever since she hopped onto the Hogwarts Express for the first time last year, she had been worried there was one great big string attached to the bargain. Maybe she was allowed to be in the world and interact with the people within it, but she would never be able to properly perform magic. It made sense. Or perhaps she was just terrible at magic. Either way she wasn't getting anything accomplished.

"I can't do this," Madison mumbled quietly.

"Yes you can," Fred said.

"Can't."

"Can."

"Can't."

"Can." This time it was Harry who interjected.

"Can't," Madison said again.

"You can. You just have to tap into something," Harry said. "It's kinda like a Patronus. You need a happy memory to cast one. Try using a memory to do other spells."

"What kind of memory?" Madison asked.

"Angry memories tend to be pretty powerful, but any kind could work, I suppose. As long as it's powerful it should work," Harry said walking away to look at the other pairs.

"It can't hurt," Fred said with a shrug before raising his own wand. "You ready?"

Madison nodded and braced herself. She felt her body lock up and freeze in place. While she waited for the spell to wear off, she allowed her mind to wander.

Now what powerful memories did she have?

She did get pissed off when some girl stepped on her Twinkle Toes when she was eight, but that might not be powerful enough. Anytime Malfoy and the other Slytherins mocked her made her pretty angry. That probably wasn't enough though.

Suddenly Madison regained mobility in her limbs and she stretched her muscles a little as the spell continued to wear off.

"Did you drop something?" Fred asked, pointing down to the floor.

Madison looked down to see a little scrap of paper. She picked it up hastily and shoved it in her pocket.

"What was that?" Fred asked.

"Uh just a little note for my Charms homework," Madison lied smoothly, "can't lose that."

Harry called for them to start practicing Stunning and as Madison waited for her group's turn, she felt her blood boil deep beneath her skin as that note rested in her pocket. She hated herself for keeping it, but to throw it away would have meant she won. It would mean her mom won.

****

"Mallory you can't take that entire platter."

"Watch me."

Mallory claimed the entire platter of bacon at breakfast and began wolfing it down.

"Blaire do you even feed her?" Grace asked with a grimace as Mallory at three pieces of bacon at once.