Chapter 18a

Sember once told me that walking through the plains the very first time had felt like someone had erased the forest. That the wide-open sky had dizzied her. But I didn't feel that way. The yellow grass sprang waist-high, swaying and rippling in the breeze like it was under water. I brushed my hand along the grassy tips, enjoying its tickle on my palm. The forest was beautiful, but the plains had its own kind of elegance.

I like that you find beauty in all things.

"Huh?" I blinked, not expecting Tessia's intrusion.

I'm sorry. I never know when to start a conversation. It seems like an interruption every time.

It's okay, I thought back to her. I think it's just something people need to get used to. Talking can be just as disruptive, but it's more acceptable because everyone's used to it.

She shrugged. I guess.

I wasn't sure how else to reassure her, so I began talking aloud. "What do you guys think this Zurbo tribe is going to be like? From the stories I heard, they had acorns for brains and treated Siena like some kind of pariah. But they still used her for healing people! How hypocritical can you get?" I shook my head and turned to Kibi. "They're not still like that, right? I mean, it's been ten years."

Her antennae paused in their twitching as she considered. I thought for sure she'd speak to defend her own tribe, but she shrugged instead and went back to staring into the distance.

I turned to Fen for input.

"As far as I'm concerned, all Plainsmen hate us."

"Hate seems like a very strong term. Are you sure about that? Or are you just going by what Niralessa tells you?"

His eyes hardened. "Look what they did to Corin!"

I stopped walking and jutted my chin at him. "Which only happened because they were trying to get back one of their own!"

"We would never have needed to take her if these animals would just treat us like normal people."

"How do you know they weren't? Did you ask her?"

He leaned forward, jaw tense.

I stood firm, ready for his retort.

He surprised me by looking away first. "They're all the same," he said without much conviction.

"But what if they're not?" I said softly. "I think . . ." I gave him a long look. "I think deep down you know what's right, and that's why you're with us instead of Niralessa."

He gnawed the inside of his cheek, glancing at Tessia and Kibi, who had been quietly watching this entire exchange. "Maybe," he mumbled. His eyes touched on me briefly before he resumed walking. It was quick, but I thought I saw respect in their depths.

I could work with 'maybe.'

***

Kibi continued leading the way, with the feelers on her head seeming to pluck information straight out of the air. Did this girl ever get lost?

My thoughts strayed to Corin as we walked. His lifeless body, his hair crusted in blood and dirt. I thought about Bolden, also dead, blood streaming out of his pierced throat. So much blood and death. I couldn't let Niralessa escalate this into a full-blown war.

"Looks like we're about to find out what these Plainsmen think of us," Fen said.

Alarmed, I faced where Fen was looking and saw two young men with spears jogging toward us. When they reached us, they seemed younger than I first thought, with smooth faces and still-developing muscles on their bare chests.

And they were identical twins.

I blinked, thinking at first that my eyes were tricking me. I'd heard of identical twins, but never seen them before. But there they were. Same face. Same haircut. Same serious expression.

"Who are you?" one of them asked, spear pointed at my face.

"And what is that?" the other one demanded, gawking at Fen.

In one quick movement, Fen grabbed the spear that was pointed at me and yanked it away. The boy stood there, wide-eyed, openmouthed, and empty-handed. The other boy lifted his spear at Fen, his face wavering between fear and courage.

"Fen, give that back," I reprimanded. "They're kids. They're just doing their jobs."

With a growl, he thrust the spear back into the hands of the boy. "Don't point those at us."

The spear nearly slipped out of the boy's grasp as he fumbled with it.

I kept my voice friendly. "You're with the Zurbo tribe, right? We're bringing a lost member back to you." I gestured toward Kibi, only to find her hiding behind Fen's legs. "Come on, these are your people. Say hello."

She peeked out, her antennae twitching nervously on her head.

"Oh," one of them said. "It's Ant Girl."

Kibi's head darted back behind Fen.

I planted my hands on my hips. "Ant Girl? Ever hear of manners? Didn't anyone teach you that calling people names is mean?"

The boys stared at me like I'd just told them the world was round. (Obviously it's flat. I mean, look at it.)

With an exasperated sigh, I said, "Just take us to your chieftain. He should know what to do."

The two boys looked at each other. One shrugged, and the other nodded. "Follow us."

Hmm, not quite a promising start. Hopefully they'll earn their votes soon.