Chapter 26c

I turned to Sember. "So, what do you think? Interesting bunch, right?"

She nodded. "To say the least. You know that guy with three eyes?"

"That's Orlo."

She dropped her voice to a whisper. "Which eye are you supposed to look at?"

I giggled. "I don't think it matters. He's happy if you look at him at all."

"So . . ." She hesitated. "Is this your family now?"

I understood her real question. Was I going to stay here?

"Niralessa wants you to join them," I said, instead. "She, um, told me to convince you."

Sember's mouth dropped open. She couldn't have been more shocked if I'd told her I'd been to the moon. "Me? But why?"

I grabbed her wrist and shook it because it was so obvious. "Because you're a walking weapon."

"I-I'm a—" She frowned.

I immediately regretted my word choice, but it was true. Niralessa wanted to be able to toast her enemies.

I let go of her wrist. "I'm sorry. You know I don't think of you that way."

"No, of course not." But her voice was distracted. She gazed out at the Camp residents busy with dinner preparations. "Is that what they think of me too?"

I shook my head. "I don't think so. They seem more curious than anything else. In awe."

She nodded in acknowledgment, but I could tell she was still dwelling on it. As tough as she was, she was still sensitive about some things.

Eager to get her mind off her insecurities, I seized her hand and pulled her to where Fen and Minocken were still talking. I probably shouldn't interrupt what was obviously an important discussion, but they were the first distraction I could think of.

"Hi!" I said, before I had any thought as to what we would talk about.

Fen smiled at me, but the smile turned wary when he acknowledged Sember. "Hello. You're Nirrin's friend."

"Yes," she said, just as stiffly.

I sighed impatiently. This was getting worse. "And you remember Minocken," I said, hoping the whiskered fellow could help ease the tension.

He bared his teeth in a huge smile. Sember stared at the long incisors with wide eyes.

"Stop that!" I elbowed him. "When do you ever smile like that?"

He turned his toothy grin on me. "Today."

Was that . . . did Minocken actually have a sense of humor? "I think I like you better as a sourpuss."

He dropped his scary smile, and I patted his arm. "That's better."

No one else picked up the conversation.

Before the awkwardness could set in, I said, "Sember likes that no one here is afraid of her."

"Don't tell them that!" she hissed at me.

"I'd love to know what that feels like," Fen said pointedly.

I held my breath, unsure how Sember would take it. Flying fireballs would not make this encounter go well.

She regarded him a moment, then dropped her gaze to the forest floor. Scuffed a boot against the dirt. She inhaled a deep breath before returning her gaze to him. "I'm sorry for misjudging you."

He blinked at her.

So did I.

She held her hand out.

Fen stared at it a beat too long, and Sember began to withdraw. In one quick movement he reached out and grabbed it, clasping her hand in both of his. "Thank you."

They held on, sharing a moment of understanding. My heart swelled. Two of my favorite people might become friends after all.

Sember spoke first. "This is so interesting." She turned over one of Fen's hands and tapped against the back of it. "Can you feel anything?"

He nodded, trying to hide his surprise. I knew he wasn't used to people touching him. "Some, yeah."

"Neat." She smiled at him and let go of his hand. "So, I hear Nirrin has the hots for you."

"Sember!"

"What? Isn't blurting things about other people one of your specialties?" Her tone was both teasing and challenging.

"Fair enough," I relented. I peeked at Fen, who was rubbing the back of his neck and fighting off an embarrassing blush. "And it's true. I do have the hots for this guy." I reached out and took his hand.

Fen glanced nervously at Minocken. It reminded me of Niralessa's disapproval, and a spark of irritation nipped at me.

I was preparing an explosion of words at Minocken when he said, "It's about time someone liked your ugly mug."

My mouth snapped shut. Did I just hear that correctly?

Fen gave him a surprised grin. "You're uglier."

Both of them looked to me for confirmation.

I recovered my wits, stuffing my misplaced irritation aside. "Sorry, Nock. I'm with Fen on this one. Though I might be slightly biased." Without thinking twice about it, I stepped up to Fen, lifted my face, and planted a kiss on his startled lips. "Get used to it," I whispered into his ear before pulling away.

The silly smirk on his face made Minocken laugh. "I have no idea what she just said to you, but boy are you whipped."

"Shut up," Fen said without malice.

"Come on." Minocken slapped Fen on the back. "Let's go make ourselves useful."

As our little gathering dispersed to help with prep work, I couldn't help dwelling on Minocken's words. Make ourselves useful. Why was I letting Niralessa make me feel useless? It was up to each of us to show our worth. I'd managed to save an entire tribe from annihilation, hadn't I? I was not useless.

Plus, I could make one mean stew.

That's right! You're only as useless as you allow yourself to be. You know what's useful? Voting, of course. ;)