Chapter 26b

After I convinced Sember to start the campfire with her bare hands, the residents of Camp swarmed her with questions.

Could she burn entire trees? (Yes.)

Did she ever burn herself? (No.)

Could she melt rocks? (She'd never tried.)

Kam and Resh seemed particularly enamored. The two boys elbowed each other in their efforts to gain her attention. At first I worried all the scrutiny would make her uncomfortable, but she seemed to enjoy their unabashed curiosity. Their lack of fear. None of the Camp residents were afraid of her abilities.

I noticed Niralessa watching from the periphery, smiling. The smile spoke of triumph rather than happiness, and it unsettled me. She wanted Sember to stay instead of me. Because, as far as she was concerned, I was useless.

I shook off the thought and replaced it with indignation when I recalled how Niralessa had asked—no, ordered—me to convince Sember to stay. Like I was one of her lackeys.

But . . . lackeys had use, didn't they?

I was so confused.

Niralessa confused me.

"Hey." Remi came up next to me and nudged me with a brotherly shoulder. "You're unusually quiet."

"You ever wonder where you were supposed to belong?"

He rubbed the stubble on his chin in thought. "Once, yeah."

"Yeah?" I raised my eyebrows at him. He always seemed so confident and comfortable. "When?"

"Before I found Foresthome. After . . ." His eyes grew sad, and he didn't continue.

Every nosy fiber in my being wanted to ask, "After what??" But I recalled something Tessia had said before. About people sharing their thoughts when they were ready.

Somehow, through sheer force of will, I remained silent.

Remi cleared his throat. "Anyway, Foresthome is where I belong. There's no question about that." His hazel eyes seemed to peer right into me. "Are you having doubts?"

I rubbed my face with both hands. "I don't know anymore."

"That sounds like a yes to me."

I peeked over my fingers at the teasing glint in his eye. "Are you making fun of me?"

He covered his heart with one dramatic hand. "I would never."

"You're a brat." I gave his shoulder a shove.

He laughed and pushed me back. "You're the brat!"

I slapped his arm. "Stop pushing me."

"You started it."

I found myself laughing, feeling lighter for the first time in days.

"I'm going to miss you, you know," Remi said, all joking gone. "If you stay here."

"Yeah, right. You're going to miss me talking your ear off about boys."

"Well, maybe not that."

I grinned at his honesty.

"The fire's hot enough for cooking now." Sember had broken away from the questions and joined us. "What are you two grinning about?"

Remi poked me. I poked him back.

Sember rolled her eyes. "Goben does that to me all the time. Is that a big brother thing?"

"I think it's an annoying person thing," I replied.

She giggled. "No argument there."

"Hey!" Remi crossed his arms in mock indignation. "I'm charming."

"Siena seems to think so." I waggled my eyebrows at him.

"You bet she does." He winked, then noticed some of the residents rummaging around in meager supply sacks. "Hmm. I'm going to do a little quick hunting. I don't want to be a freeloader here."

He took off, pulling his bow from the sling on his back.

Such a considerate fellow. You know what else is considerate? Voting! :D