Chapter 6c

I slipped into the hut that Siena and Remi shared. Making my way through the dim shadows, I knelt next to Siena's side of the bed.

"Siena," I whispered, hoping not to wake Remi.

No response.

"Siena, it's me, Nirrin."

"Mmm." She moved an arm, but said nothing more.

"Siena, wake up."

Her arm moved again, this time reaching up to push my face away.

What the—when did she start doing that?

"Nirrin, what do you want?" Remi's irritated voice, thick with sleep, floated across the bed to me.

"I wanted to tell her that I'm going somewhere, and not to worry about me."

"Where are you going?"

"It's something I have to do."

"In the middle of the night?"

"It's important."

"Everything you do seems to be important."

"So? I can't help it if it's true."

He exhaled. "Fine. How long will you be gone?"

I tilted my head in surprise. "You're not going to try convincing me to stay?"

"Nirrin, arguing with you is an exercise in futility. I'd rather sleep. How long before we send a search party looking for you?"

"I, uh, don't know."

A pause. "Nirrin, are you sure you should be going at all?"

Good question. I pressed on before I could change my mind. "Look, I have a chance to find out something about my mother. I'm going to take it."

"Maybe I should go with you." I heard the rustle of him sitting up.

"Remi, no. I need to do this alone." I waited for his response. When none came, I prompted, "Remi? It's just one of those things, you know? That you have to do."

"Yeah," he replied after a moment, his voice thoughtful. "I actually do know. Just be careful, okay?"

"Absolutely!" I leapt to my feet and almost jumped across the bed to hug him. I thought about telling him about setting Fen free, but decided against it. "And when you find out who I went with, don't be alarmed, okay? I'll be just fine."

"What does that mean?"

I hoped he was still too sleepy to figure out who I was talking about and headed toward the door. "And tell Siena I forgive her for ignoring me."

Out the door I flew. Had I taken too long? Was Fen still waiting for me?

When I reached the place where I'd left him, I saw no sign of him.

"Fen?" I whispered. Blast it, I knew he'd take off. Why would he hang around for me anyway?

A light touch on my arm nearly launched me out of my moccasins.

"It's just me," Fen said, steadying me with a firm grip on my shoulder.

I calmed my breathing. "I thought you left."

"I promised to take you," he said, as if there'd been no reason at all for him to desert me.

I was speechless for a surprised moment. A short moment. "Uh, right. You did. Good. Let's go." I started marching forward, clinging to my intent and sense of urgency, because it was the only thing keeping me from screaming, "Nirrin, what in the world are you doing?"

Fen must have sensed it, because he asked, "Are you sure about this?"

I kept walking. "Not really."

He stopped. "Then what are you doing?"

I shook my head. "I don't know. But I have to do something."

"Why? Don't you have a good life here?"

"I—" He was right. I did. I had regular meals, was liked—well, mostly. Jeribo probably hated me now. And Bren needed me. Then why did I feel so restless? "I've never been anywhere. And I've never known my parents."

He eyed me dubiously. "You're alone here?"

"Well, not really. I have friends. But no family. No one to—" No one to belong to. I gave my head a vigorous shake. "Let's just go." I stomped ahead before I could change my mind. Before my good sense regained its footing and sent me home. Before it could tell me I was fleeing Foresthome in the middle of the night for no good reason, with a possibly dangerous guy I knew nothing about, and with no idea where we were headed.

Oh, and no supplies.

Blast it, I seriously hadn't thought this through.

You knew Nirrin was impetuous, but this? Show her what sensible people do, like voting!