Chapter 27

Remi returned with five squirrels and a rabbit. Niralessa was impressed, being a bow-hunter herself.

"Are you Gifted?" she asked him.

"I'm talented," he said with a bit of cheekiness.

"That you are." If she was suspicious about the evasion, she didn't let on.

Later, after everyone had situated themselves with their meals in various parts of Camp, Niralessa settled near Sember and me, across from Remi. She sat cross-legged on the ground as we did, obviously wanting to talk to us.

I stiffened, our previous conversation still fresh on my mind. She didn't think I was good enough for Fen. But I wasn't about to bring that up in front of my friends.

After swallowing a few bites, she finally spoke. "Aren't either of you going to ask why my skin is green?"

My forehead wrinkled. Why was she asking them that?

Sember didn't miss a beat. "Are you going to ask me why my hair is red?"

A corner of Niralessa's mouth lifted. "I would presume you don't have an answer for that."

Sember tore a bite off a rabbit leg. "Exactly."

Niralessa turned to Remi, awaiting his answer.

He shrugged. "None of my business why you're green."

The other side of her mouth turned up. Was that an actual smile on her face?

"I like your friends," she told me.

"You'd like all the Forestfolk," I returned. But why don't you like me? I wanted to shout at her.

"Hmm." She took another sip of her stew and said nothing more.

The rest of the evening was surprisingly pleasant, considering the rocky start. Tessia, however, was noticeably absent. I was hoping to introduce her to my friends, but I didn't see her anywhere.

While the others chatted, I tried calling out to her with my mind. Tessia? Tessia, where are you?

I waited.

Tessia, are you mad at me? I couldn't think of a single reason why she would be, but it wouldn't be the first time I obliviously pissed someone off.

No, I'm not mad, she finally answered.

Then why aren't you with us? I think my friends would like you.

A pause. That's not a good idea.

"Says who?" I accidentally said aloud.

Remi, who had been talking about buffalo meat, gave me a quizzical look. "Says a lot of people. But hey, I won't hold it against you if you prefer rodents."

"Uh, yeah." I gave him a nervous laugh. "I can't fit a buffalo into a cauldron."

Niralessa narrowed her eyes at me, and I quickly asked her, "What about you? What's your favorite?"

"I'm happy with whatever my children bring home." She leaned back, and I almost breathed a sigh of relief.

Tessia, why isn't it a good idea?

No answer.

Tessia?

Where did she go?

It wasn't long before Sember let out a huge yawn, which made me yawn, which made Remi yawn. People began retiring to their tents for the night, and I soon found myself crammed with Sember and Remi in my small tent, kicking Sember's feet out of my space.

"Stop it," she complained. "I can't help being tall."

"Fine," I huffed. "But don't be mad if you find me cuddling you in the morning."

Remi laughed from his side of the tent.

"Remi," I called out. "What would Siena think of you sharing a tent with two girls?"

"That I'm a stud?"

Sember guffawed.

"Well, you didn't have to laugh so loud," Remi grumbled.

"Hey, guys?" I asked as quietly as I could. "Did . . . did Niralessa ask either of you to stay?"

"Well, yeah," Remi said. "That's why we're wedged in here with you."

"No, I mean, for good. To join their camp."

Sember pushed herself onto one elbow to look at me. "I'm not going to be anyone's weapon."

"What are you talking about?" Remi asked.

"Keep your voice down," I whisper-yelled. "I think Niralessa has this absurd notion of recruiting Gifted people to help her, uh, strengthen her numbers."

"Don't tell me she's going to attack another tribe." Remi kept his voice low this time.

"I don't know. She's been a little crazy since . . ." It felt strange to say since my father was killed. It still felt like it happened to someone else. But it wasn't someone else. It was my father.

Before I could decide if I felt sad or not, Sember spoke up. "No, she hasn't asked either of us."

"Oh."

"Is she not normally that nice?" Remi asked.

"Well . . ." I thought hard about this. What did I really know about her? "She's usually very distrustful of people who look normal. She's resentful, I think."

"Hmm." Remi shifted on his bedroll. "If the Plainsmen she's dealt with are anything like the ones I used to live with, then I don't blame her."

I sighed, thinking about everything. Then sighed again, because everything was a lot to think about.

"Nirrin." Sember sounded hesitant. "You'll be leaving with us in the morning, right?"

A heaviness settled on my chest when I thought about leaving Fen and Tessia. Fen would stay to look after Tessia, and Tessia had to stay because of that horrible bargain she'd struck with Niralessa. Would I be happy staying here with them?

Sember reached across and touched my arm when I didn't answer. "I'll miss you," she said quietly.

I squeezed the hand on my arm, unable to speak.

I did not look forward to tomorrow at all.

Why did I have to choose?

Why can't we just have it all? (You know, like all the votes!)