Chapter 19a

Having grown up in a log cabin, I found the mud huts of this tribe strange. All dirt-colored and uneven in shape. Kibi's family lived in one of these huts, which had about four children running around it, playing some sort of game that involved lots of screaming. A woman sat outside, sewing.

"Ulika," Meresh greeted when we arrived. "How do you fare today?"

"Chief Meresh!" The woman seemed startled and smoothed her long brown hair. "I am well."

Before anyone could say anything else, Kibi darted out from behind Fen and flew into Ulika's arms. "Mama," I heard her whisper faintly.

The woman automatically wrapped her arms around the child, eyes slightly confused. "Kibi! Where did you get to? I was so worried."

"See? What did I tell you?" A man stepped out of the hut, arrogance oozing off him like pond slime. "That girl is forever running off and getting into trouble. I knew she'd be back. You worry for nothing."

"She's our child, Eyrik." The woman tightened her grip on Kibi. "Of course I'm going to worry."

The man sighed. "We've got four other ones. Normal ones. You should worry about them instead."

The feelers on Kibi's head wilted, and she gazed up at her father with watery eyes.

I couldn't take any more. "Your daughter didn't run off. She was taken! How long was it before you even realized she was gone?"

Ulika's face pinched. "I knew something had happened." She squeezed her daughter into another tight hug. "That's why I told Bolden."

Eyrik looked bored of this conversation and waved his hand in the air. "Okay, well, she's back now, so no need for the melodramatics you and that brutish brother of yours are so fond of."

An image of Bolden's skewered throat came to mind, making me want to slap this guy's ugly beard off.

I forced my fingers to relax and faced Ulika. "Bolden was your brother?"

She nodded. "He said he had an idea of where to look. That one of his men was a Gifted tracker."

Dismay weighed in my chest like a stone, and I couldn't look at her anymore.

"Have you seen him?" she wondered.

How could I tell her that her brother was dead? I couldn't speak past the lump in my throat.

Fen, who had been hanging back behind Meresh and me, stepped forward. "Yes, we have."

Both parents' eyes widened with alarm as they took in his unusual appearance.

"I am Fenrook, and your brother attacked my people. Killed my father." He spoke through clenched teeth and balled his hands into fists. For a second, I was sure he was going to lunge forward and smash their skulls together.

I wouldn't have minded him smashing Eyrik's skull.

"Your brother is dead now," he said tightly, without remorse.

Ulika shook her head. "Bolden is—that can't be."

Kibi buried her face into her mother's neck and squeezed hard.

"Kibi, is this true?" She pulled her daughter away and looked into her eyes.

The girl's antennae remained curled with sorrow, her eyes downcast.

"Kibi?" the woman prompted.

She gave a small, sad nod.

Ulika's hands dropped from her daughter's shoulders, and she shook her head again. "This can't be. Bolden was fearless."

"Fearlessness doesn't protect you from arrows and stupidity," Fen said with disgust.

I elbowed him, and he gave me a look that pretty much said they got what they deserved.

Ulika's hand flew to her mouth. "Bolden," she whispered.

Eyrik had the decency to place a consoling hand on her shoulder.

"I told you not to go wandering off," Ulika snapped through her tears. "And now your uncle is dead."

Kibi' feelers bent at odd angles, and she blinked as if her mother had just struck her.

"That's not her faul—" I began, but Ulika cut me off.

"If it weren't for you," she said to Kibi, "this would never have happened."

I couldn't believe a mother would say such a thing to her own daughter.

"Stop it!" I shouted.

But the damage had already been done. Kibi spun around and ran away. Tessia chased after her.

"Can't you see she's already hurting?" I said angrily. "She watched Bolden die!"

Fresh tears spilled down her cheeks, and her shoulders shook with the effort to hold back sobs.

Meresh placed a firm hand on my back. "Perhaps we should let them grieve."

Reluctantly, I let him guide us away.

As much as we'd like to, we can't protect people from their own stupidity. But we can still offer supportive votes. :)