Chapter 35b

I followed the trail Galen had taken them on yesterday, which led to a small meadow on a different side of the lake. Please be there, please be there, I chanted to myself.

"Nirrin!" Orlo's lanky body straightened after picking a mushroom next to a tree. He grinned and waved the mushroom at me. "I've never seen this kind before. It looks good! I like this lake."

So much relief flooded my body that I nearly collapsed. I came closer, and he handed me his find.

"This one will give you diarrhea," I said, turning it over in my hands.

His three eyes grew big. "Oh! Really? Uh . . ." His eyes darted in the direction of the main camp. "Back later." And he loped away.

I followed after him, my footsteps no longer rushed now that I knew my new friends hadn't disappeared. What had Benzi been talking about, then? Maybe I needed to talk to him about lying.

Those thoughts all flew away when I spotted my most favorite guy in the world. His muscles bunched as he brought his ax down to split wood. As if sensing my presence, he looked in my direction and beamed at me. His whole face lit up, and I couldn't have stopped my own grin if I'd tried.

He dropped the ax and bounded over to envelop me in the warmest of hugs.

"I can't believe you're here," I breathed.

"Me either. I love this place."

"No, I meant . . ." I pulled back far enough to look at him. "I'd heard you all left."

His eyes clouded a little. "Oh. Well, some of us did."

"Really?" I looked around, trying to ascertain who might have gone. "But why?" A sudden thought hit me, and I gasped at the possibility. "Tessia? She didn't run away again, did she? If Niralessa did something, I swear I'll—what? Why are you laughing?"

"I love how you get all Mama Bear when you think someone's harmed the ones you care about." He squeezed my arms. "She's at the lake, washing up."

My shoulders slumped with relief. "Who left, then?"

"Ma and some of her warriors." His voice held a sad edge. "Once she saw how well we were received here, she knew we would be all right. But she's always been restless. She's always thinking about how many other Aberrations might be out there, being mistreated or abandoned for no good reason." He picked up his ax and hefted it, as if getting ready to cleave those responsible. "I mean, I'd probably be dead if she hadn't found me."

That sinking feeling returned to my stomach. "She's not going to kidnap more children, is she?"

He shook his head. "No. Minocken will make sure of that."

"Oh. Well, good." I noticed his downcast eyes. "I'm sorry you lost your mother and your brother. But maybe they'll visit sometimes?"

He shrugged. "Maybe."

"Did they say anything before they left?"

He gave me a small smile. "Niralessa just wants us to be happy. She really does care. She's just terrible at affection."

I gave him a dubious lip-curl.

"Really terrible," he emphasized. "But she only listens to people she respects. You never let her trample over you. Not many people can do that." He leaned the ax against his leg and captured my hands in both of his. "You've made a huge difference." He glanced around the camp behind him. "In all our lives."

I let his words sink in. My whole life I'd endeavored to cover my insecurity with prattle. And now look at me. I'd somehow made the impossible happen.

Nirrin! Good morning, true friend!

I looked around and found Tessia making her way across the meadow, freshly washed clothes slung over one arm. She wore a different dress and a blissfully content expression on her face.

"I see you found the lake," I commented.

She nodded. It's very pretty.

She turned to Fen, handed him her wet clothes, and tugged at my hand. I followed her through some trees, away from the camp.

"Is everything all right?" I asked, once she stopped at an old, fallen tree.

More than all right. She leaned against the old tree, and I was relieved to find a smile on her face. You've changed everything. You've given us a home. You've given me my freedom.

She was making me out to be some kind of hero. Which sounded strange. It was always other people who were heroic, not me.

During yesterday's introductions, the Forestfolk were polite, but still scared of us. Because we look strange. It made me sad, and I thought maybe this was going to be just like all the other places.

"But—"

She held up a hand. Then, at the evening meal, when they saw you were friends with us and talking to us like normal people, I think they became less scared. They look up to you, you know.

My head listed to one side. "They look up to me. Right. Are we talking about the same people?"

Nirrin, you may not know this, but your bravery rubs off on people.

My eyebrows went up. "Bravery? It's not brave to treat people like people."

She shrugged. I think it is.

I wasn't sure what to say to that. People thought I was unruly, unconventional, and a whole bunch of other un-words. But brave?

The thought made me want to stand taller.

We are all brave in different ways. Stand tall and be proud. And vote.