Chapter 29b

Ducking inside, I quickly spotted Fen's bulk on the far side of the tent. He lay on his back, taking deep, even breaths. I stepped over Minocken's empty bed of furs and crouched down next to Fen's sleeping form.

He was cute, even with his mouth partially open like that. I touched his nose, wondering if the gentle touch would wake him.

He wriggled his nose and inhaled another deep, sleep-filled breath.

Smiling now, I touched his cheek.

This caused him to close his mouth and make a small humming sound.

Enjoying this game, I decided to touch his shoulder.

Before I had any chance to react, his other arm came flying up to swat the imaginary pest, smacking my hand with enough force to sting.

"Ow!"

His eyes popped open, confusion and sleep swirling in their brown depths. They finally focused on me. He sat up quickly and scratched his shoulder. "Did I just hit you?"

"Yeah," I said, rubbing my hand. "Lesson learned."

"Sorry." He rubbed his eyes, gave his head a small shake, and yawned so huge I could have fallen into his mouth.

I smiled with amusement. "Not a morning person, are you?"

"Nope." His muscles flexed as he stretched.

Hoping he would soon wake up enough to give me more than single-word answers, I asked my question. "Would you want to stay with me in Foresthome?"

He blinked his still-groggy eyes. "What?"

"If Niralessa allows Tessia to leave, would you leave too? With me?"

"I don't understand."

How long did it take this guy to wake up? Annoyed at his befuddled state, I could only think of one way to wake him up completely.

I leaned in, slid my hands up his rock-hard chest, and kissed him soundly.

It didn't take long. He twined a hand into my hair and the other around my waist, pulling me close. "Mmmm." I could feel his voice rumbling against me.

I smiled against his lips. "Awake now?"

"Very."

"Maybe next time I'll start with that."

He smiled back. "Maybe you should."

Reluctantly, I pulled back. "So, about my question."

He didn't let go of my waist. "Yes."

"Yes? Do you remember what I asked?"

"If Tessia can leave, we'll follow you anywhere."

My insides flipped, and I was afraid I'd heard wrong. "Anywhere?"

He nodded slowly and dipped his head for another lingering kiss.

"What if I want to go to a swamp?" I teased when he pulled away.

His mouth twitched. "Why would you want to go to a swamp?"

I shook my head. "Doesn't matter. Would you still follow me?"

He smiled. "You're crazy."

I gave him a playful poke in the chest. "And you're not answering the question."

He responded by squeezing me against him so tightly it left me breathless. "I would follow you into swamps, mountains, and chasms. I am yours, for life."

I swallowed hard, all teasing gone.

Mine. For life.

My heart swelled bigger than my chest could hold. Was it possible to explode from happiness? It felt like it.

"I'm yours too," I whispered against his cheek.

The grin he gave me nearly split his face.

Awww they're so sweet. Let's give them some privacy (and some votes).