Chapter 34b

Word of our arrival must have circulated, because a new crowd formed. I noticed the Camp group behind me huddling closer together. I also noticed Jeribo scooting closer to the front of the Forestfolk crowd, spear in hand.

"What are you doing with that?" I demanded, pointing to his unwelcome weapon.

He froze. "I was, uh, spear-fishing."

"Well, put that away. There aren't any fish here."

He reddened and slunk away.

I noticed Siena edging the perimeter, not quite wanting to elbow her way in, so I saved her the trouble. "Siena!" I shouted and waved. I was pleased when people stepped out of my way, clearing a path to one of my favorite people.

We hugged. I told her, "I forgive you for shoving me that night."

She pulled away and gave me a perplexed look. "When did I shove you?"

"That night I told you I was leaving."

She stared blankly at me.

"Never mind. Remi can fill you in. I want you to meet someone! She's incredibly sweet. Reminds me of you." I turned around to fetch Tessia, but she'd maneuvered her way behind everyone.

Galen finally showed up. He had a welcoming smile on his face, but I could see the wariness in his eyes. They warmed when they landed me. "Nirrin, I see you've been busy."

I grinned at him. "You could say that. I brought some friends."

"I can see that." He faced the group. "Which one of you is Niralessa?"

All eyes turned to the back of the group. A path parted through them, and Niralessa strode forward. She held her head high, though I noticed a nervous swallow.

"You are the chieftain, I presume?" she asked.

He waved the idea away. "We don't bother with chieftains here. But I would like to welcome you all the same." He extended a hand. Slowly. The wariness had returned to his eyes, and it made me wonder what he was sensing from this woman.

Niralessa stared at his hand, the ambivalence apparent on her face. Was it too soon for her to be playing nice with people she didn't consider Aberrations?

Minocken rushed forward to clasp Galen's hand. "We appreciate it very much."

For a moment it looked as if Galen might rip his hand away from Minocken's grasp. His eyes widened as they took in the other man's whiskers and protruding face.

Come on, Galen, I silently pleaded. Get it together!

"Well." He cleared his throat and unfroze his smile. "We have much to discuss. We don't have nearly enough living quarters for all of you."

"It's fine," Niralessa said quickly, finally recovering from her reticence. "We'll make camp a safe distance away."

Safe distance? Safe for whom?

"That sounds like a fine idea. I think I know just the place." Galen gestured for the group to follow him. "We'll make official introductions to everyone later, at the meeting circle."

As the group wandered away and the crowd of Forestfolk dissipated, I breathed a sigh of relief. No fights. No one put to sleep.

I'd call that a success.

Step one of Operation Integration, complete! Step two... voting!