Chapter 27- Surprise Part 2

Play song above
Once an addict- J. Cole

"Dad?"

I crossed my arms looking at him while anger filled my whole body

"What!" Keri shot up from the couch and came to the front door 

"What the hell are you doing here?"

"I wanted a second chance"

"A second chance! Are you kidding me?" 

"Kids I think you should go into the other room," Kristen said

They all got off of the couch and walked into the backyard with everyone besides Keri and Jeff. 

"What makes you think you can show up out of nowhere and waltz back into my life?"

he took in a deep breath and looked at me.

"Mamita--"

"No, you don't get to call me that," I said turning my head trying to hide the tears

"Mia, I did some fucked up things when you were younger and while I was in prison, I would always think about the ways I could fix it, but by the time I was out, it was too late but I still wanted to start over. I met another woman and I had another child with her. As I was raising her I realized how much I missed you and how I wanted to fix things between us.  Then, when I was watching the news one day I saw you and Daniel on the tv. There were rumors going around that you were pregnant and I thought this was my chance. I thought I could try and fix things."

I could feel my heart pounding as I started to get a shortness of breath. 

"I need to sit down," I said grabbing onto Daniel. 

He directed me onto the couch into the living room. Daniel sat down next to me while my dad sat in a chair in front of me. Keri and Jeff sat on the couch next to me while Keri held onto my hand. 

I let out a hysterical laugh. 

"You think you can come back into my life after you abandoned me. You abandoned us! Me and my mother, my alcoholic mother! And while my mother was out at bars, I was stuck at home with your fucking mother who would burn me with her fucking cigarettes. You see these!" I got up from the couch, turning around and lifting up my shirt showing the burn scars from the cigarettes. "This is what would happen when you were home! When you let your wants come first! You were out on the street doing and selling drugs!"

"I was selling them to help us!" He took in a deep breath and looked at me "It was for us, for you, me and your mother. To be able to put food on the table, to be able to pay for the house, taxes, I was doing it for us."

I didn't know what to say. I don't want to say anything. I just wish I could go back ten minutes and not answer that door. My life would be fine. I would be sitting on the couch with my family, watching a movie, drinking hot chocolate; but no, I'm facing my father that left me with an alcoholic mother and an abusive grandmother. 

"Ryan, you're daughter ran to our house in the pouring rain while CPS was at your door trying to take her away. She was so scared, I could see it in her eyes. SHe knocked on our door and I will never forget what she said, She said, I'm scared, please don't let them take me'. You and I both know your daughter, she never shows weakness, but she did. Her mother and father were both taken away from her on the same day. What do you think that does to a child." Keri said