4. Walking and Talking

Elizabeth’s POV

Mr. Stewart and Mr. Johnson made us hike up a trail, along the way they would point off various plants that we should stay clear from.

“So is this all we are going to do just walk then walk back to the camp site to sleep” Mathew said a bit annoyed. I rolled my eyes.

“Yes Mathew” Mr. Stewart said shaking his head with disapproval.

“Well what a waste.” Mathew sulked looking away pulling out his phone trying to get signal.

“You know Mathew; if you don’t like the beauty of nature then why did you come?" Mr. Johnson said turning around to face him but slowly continued walking up the hill.

“It was a chance to get out of school, duh!” He said and went back to his phone.  Mr. Johnson sighed and turned back around.

“Just a bit longer guys then we will go back alright?” Mr. Johnson said earning a few nods and “yeah” from the group.

At least it wasn’t hot due to the rain; in fact the ground was a bit moist. I could feel my shoes sink into the small layer of mud.

I glance up and smile seeing Chloe holding hands with Jeff while Emily was walking with Shawn. Why won’t they date already it is so obvious that they like each other due to the way they talk and stare at one another. Well, not everyone can read signs.

I saw Harry walking alone. It annoyed me that besides my groups of four friends and I are the only ones that actually talk to him. Everyone just alienates him for no reason or some just want to hang out with him due to his spotlight as being a boxer. I have noticed that Harry quickly excludes those people out of his life, I don’t know if it’s either because he wants to be alone or if he just wants to have people around him who actually care for him.

I took a sip of my water and walked over to Harry and gently hit his arm with mine and he glanced over to me and smiled.

“Hey stranger” I said and he simply nodded.

“You know you really are a stranger to me. I mean yea we are close but I have realized I barely know thing about you” I say looking at the floor. I could feel that he tensed up due to the sharp intake of breathe that he took.

“Well, it’s just that I don’t really like to talk about myself all the time." He murmured and gave me a small smile drinking from his bottled water; however he didn't sound that convincing. To be honest for some reason it hurt my feelings. Maybe it was the fact that I easily open up to him but he isn't willing to do the same.

I stayed quiet for a while as we continued to walk, looking at the ground. After a moment I crashed into someone's back; glance up seeing  it was Mathew. He was looking at the trees on his left side as if he was lost in trying to look for something.

“Hey watch where you’re going” He says in a cold tone after pulling his gaze away from the trees to look at me.

“Sorry." I mutter, blushing under his sudden callous behavior,moving my eyes to look at the ground blinking a few times feeling flustered; biting my lip.

“Hey, it was an accident.” I hear Harry say beside me in a stern raspy voice. I look up at him, he was giving Mathew a cold green eyed glare.

Mathew rolled his eyes at us and continued to walk. “Mr. Stewart, are you sure this place is safe? “ He said walking up to stand next to our teacher.

“Yes, why do you ask?” Mr. Stewart said looking at him furrowing his brows along with Mr. Johnson and a few of the students as well intrigued by his question.

“Its just right now; I thought I saw something hiding behind the trees." He said a bit concerned, pointing back with his thumb.

“I can guarantee there is nothing out there. It is completely safe. If it wasn’t safe, then the rangers wouldn’t let us come here in the first place. Its probably your imagination or the lack of sleep you had due to waking up early.” Mr. Johnson said.

“Alright, I think we should all just start heading back the sun is about to go down” Mr. Johnson added and turned around to walk back to our camp site.