Day 38

I couldn't wait to put on that hoodie.

I sat excitedly, watching the clock.

4:57.

I fidgeted impatiently.

4:58.

I grabbed the hoodie.

4:59.

I slowly began to put it on.

5:00.

I found myself in a hotel room.

You were sitting on the edge of your own bed, leaning forward excitedly.

You gave me the purest of smiles when you saw me and, without saying a word, you took my hand and we slipped out of the hotel room.

We ran out of the hotel into the chilly, early morning air. The smell of the ocean filled my nose. I'd been to the ocean only once before in my lifetime.

I kicked off my shoes like you did when we reached the beach. Our feet sank into the still warm sand. It tickled my feet but did it gently so as not to hurt me.

You lead me to a small rock pier on the beach that lead out into the ocean itself. We strolled down the narrow rocky bridge, every now and then a spray of ocean splashing us playfully as it slapped up against the rocks below.

I gave a small squeal and shied away from the frigid water. You just laughed and wrapped your arms around my waist.

We stood at the end of the pier, gazing expectantly at the ocean horizon where the sky was becoming pink and was swirled with golden clouds. A single ray of white sunshine streaked through the sky.

I held my breath as the sun finally broke the surface of the ocean, sending the sky into a blaze of fire. Orange, purple, red, pink, and gold danced together in the sky as they rejoiced of the arrival of the morning star.

"Told you it'd be worth it," you murmured to me.

"It's beautiful," I finally gave in and smiled, letting the new sun warm my face.

"You're beautiful."

I froze and looked up at you.

It was the first time I'd been called beautiful by someone other than my mom.

"I...." I was lost for words, but you didn't care.

An ocean breeze whisked my hair into my face, tangling it into a mess. I certainly did not feel beautiful as I clumsily tried to get the hair out.

When I could see again, you were right there.

I mean, right there.

Your face so close to mine, and you were smiling as the ocean breeze played with your short, curly hair.

And then you kissed me on that beach as the sun rose upon the ocean waters.