Day 37

(A/N: Some profanity up ahead)

My mom was screaming downstairs.

My dad was screaming.

It was the same as usual.

My dad had come back that day, trying to talk to me.

I didn't want to see him.

He abandoned me when I was ten.

He'll just disappear again.

"You wanted me to come, Helen. Now you're telling me to get out?" My dad bellowed downstairs. "What does it take to satisfy you woman?"

"You left us, Dave, you left us!" My mom's wails filled the entire house. "You couldn't care less of us."

"I already told you. I'm here, what the fuck do you want me to do now, huh? You asked me to come here and I did. But what do I get? My daughter slams the door in my face and now my wife is just screaming at me!"

I felt dead.

I just listened in my room as I ran my hands over my bed cover.

"You didn't even want to come in the first place!" A loud crack resounds below where my parents are arguing in the kitchen. "I called you, but you didn't want to!"

"But I did!" Another loud crack.

I think they were hitting the kitchen counters that day.

"I knew some shit like this would happen which is why I didn't want to come!" My dad snarled. "Nothing I do, or did, pleased you, Helen."

"You never loved me! You just wanted me because I had a good body! But the moment I told you I was pregnant, you became sullen and then you finally left for another woman! Just like that!"

"Hah, you're so cocky you bitch!" My dad scoffed. "If I wanted you just for your body I would've found someone else."

At the time, I didn't know what exactly happened after that.

I just heard a pause of silence, and then lots of screaming.

Later, I found out my mom slapped my dad. And then he shoved her to the floor.

Mom had a bruise on her face for the rest of the month.

Mom smiled through the pain.

But at the time, when I heard the screaming, I quietly went to the home phone and dialed.

"9-1-1, what's your emergency?" The person on the other line asked.

"My family is a shit show," I whispered to the operator.