Day 23

(A/N: some more profanity up ahead)

The doctor bowed his head.

My mom trembled.

I only made tiny circles on the desk beside me.

"I'm so sorry," the doctor whispered.

Isn't that what he said when he first told me I had pancreatic cancer?

"We... tried."

"So it's too late?" My mom shuddered. "It really is too late? All that work. All that money. All that hope. For nothing?"

"We'll pull back some of the hospital bills," the doctor began.

"I don't care about the fucking money!" My mom screamed.

Some men came into the room in case they needed to subdue my mom.

"I just care for my girl's life!" My mom slammed her fist on the desk, causing it to rattle and halting my making tiny circles on the desk behind me.

"Ma'am, I'm sorry-"

"Stop saying you're sorry, dammit! I don't give a shit! I just want my daughter's life back! I want her to live to a good long age! I want what any mother wants!"

"Mom," I stood up and laced my arm around hers. "It's okay."

My mom was out of breath, chest heaving. She gazed at me, tears streaking down her cheeks. "What, honey?"

"Thank you for trying doctor," I told the doctor sincerely. "We'll go now."

"But, but," my mom sputtered.

I turned to face her and gave her a little smile.

"It doesn't matter how many days I have left, Mom," I told her quietly. "What matters is I'm alive and breathing right now. What matter is I have this very moment to myself. I plan on using as many of these moments I have left and live with as much energy and as much youth I've got left in me. And who knows, maybe I'll even scare death away with living every moment to its fullest."

Live life to the fullest.

Such an old, cheesy saying.

But it became my motto.

It became my war cry against death itself.