twenty-three

"What's going on, Taehyung?" Namjoon asked as Taehyung walked into the dorm that they shared. "I thought you were hanging out with Jin and Yoongi."

"Yeah, I just needed to talk to you about something," he replied.

Namjoon set his book down and nodded. "What about?"

"Do you like Celeste?" Taehyung asked.

Namjoon nodded. "Yeah, I do. She's a really nice girl. Do you like her?"

Taehyung scoffed. "I don't like her."

Namjoon raised an eyebrow. "I'm pretty sure you like her. If you didn't, you wouldn't be here, asking me if I liked her or not."

Taehyung stayed silent, walking to his bed and sitting down. "Well, shit."

Namjoon hummed, opening his book again. "I'm still going to the dance with her, but you should consider not being an idiot from now on. I like Celeste, but I don't care who she chooses - if she chooses anyone."

Taehyung sighed. "Is this how it feels to actually like someone? Always wanting to kiss her? Your heart always beats like it's ready to burst? But I feel so calm around her at the same time."

Namjoon smiled, despite the fact that his best friend likes his crush. "That's it, mate."

"I've never really liked anyone - for real," he added. "I thought my heartbeat was so fast because of the fact that I always chased after her in the hallways. I thought I only wanted to kiss her because her lips were glossy and she was a tease. I thought I was only calm around her because she didn't judge me based on popularity and looks."

Namjoon chuckled with a shrug. "Who knows? You may have an actual chance with her. Celeste is unpredictable."

Taehyung scoffed quietly. "She could not even pick one of us."

The boys stared at each other in silence. Namjoon suddenly lunged forward from his chair and ran for the door. Taehyung reached the door first and shoved Namjoon.

The two shoved each other as they ran downstairs.