Chapter 24

~Max's P.O.V~

"Hide and seek!" Preston yelling wasn't anything knew but the pause he took before he answered my question caught me off guard. I let his shirt go pushing him away "you know lying isn't going to get you anywhere except an early grave also what the fuck happened to your face?".

"Well if you must know I fought off the evil witch that was attacking the princess".

"You still didn't tell me the truth about what your doing here" if my gaze could kill it would at this point.

"I told you Max hide and seek no one will expect me to hide here so that's why i'm here" I could tell Preston was lying but no longer cared I was now more concerned on how long he had been outside the window before David had left. We sat there in silence for what felt like eternity until the door burst open and there was David with a whole bunch of food not the slop that the Quartermaster made it was pizza. Why pizza though it must have been a lot longer than what I had thought it was considering to have pizza delivered to the camp would take at least a half hour that hit to the head I took must have been a lot worse than the paramedics had thought it was. Did Preston notice how long we sat in silence "ah Preston Gwen, and Jason where looking for you. I guess you must have been worried about Max right?". David didn't even question his being here anymore than worry I guess I shouldn't think to much into the fact that Preston just happened to show up just as David had left the cabin. "You should head back to the mess hall Preston Max, and I will join everyone soon" Preston got up quicker than I thought he could a sped through the door in a blur. David, and I ate the pizza in almost complete silence aside from David being upset that that had happened.

~David's P.O.V~

Max was really quiet the whole time we were eating the pizza I had bought I hope hes not blaming himself for what happened still maybe I should ask. I don't think right now is a good time it took almost the whole year for Max to even talk to me about his parents even the smallest things where hard to talk about. "Max you know what happened wasn't your fault right?" I knew the words that slipped out of my mouth would make him angry I thought he'd yell at me and I was ready for it but I wasn't ready for Max to just get up and walk away. I was so taken aback that even though I saw him having slight trouble walking in a straight line I just let him leave I knew he needed his time. I couldn't hold my emotion in anymore Max had walked out and I burst into tears sobbing uncontrollably not because I was sad I was angry I mean it wasn't the first time that I hadn't been able to protect him. My mind wasn't just on what happened today it was back when I had gotten back from grocery shopping I just hope that the police find the guy before I do. That man is the first person that I have ever wanted to drop off the face of the earth I want him to get what he deserves for what he did to Max if I had just been there.

~Jason's P.O.V~

Gwen, and I had spent a short while looking for Preston before we both came up with the obvious that he would be asking David a whole bunch of questions about what happened god I don't even know what happened but what I do know is that if that bitch didn't show up it would have worked and no one would be the wiser. Preston came back to the mess hall and was followed by Max about twenty minuets later I knew going over to talk to him right now would be a bad idea so I left him be watching as Nikki, and Neil both bombarded him with one question after another. This might work in my favor I know he's getting angry it's just a matter of time before. I couldn't even finish my thought before Max slammed his hands on the table and stormed off. "I'll go make sure he's alright" Gwen nodded in approval and I made my way around the camp looking for Max. After about ten minuets I figured that the camp grounds where not the place to look for him so I went to the woods. "Max!" I waited a short while before calling out his name again. It didn't take long for me to find him hes so predictable and that's what makes this easy. Max'll be sure to drink all of the coffee this time I thought I walked over to him handing him the coffee. "Here'ya go Max I know it's not much but i'm sure that it might help" Max took the coffee but didn't drink it right away so we sat in silence I knew that would make him feel obligated to drink it if I waited there long enough. Finally he started to drink it and he hasn't seemed to notice hurry before it starts to kick in.