1. Plea for Help

Just after having dinner with my friends, I waited at the entrance of the restaurant for my Uber to arrive. I had the twins - Sarah and John with me. The other two of my small friends group had already left. We were caught up in a serious conversation about how restaurants with a peppy, retro set up were cooler than the ones with dim lighting and slow music.

And now we were stuck at 11 pm, waiting for the Uber man to arrive with his car. We will be in trouble if he decides to cancel the ride.

"My dad is going to kill me" Sarah said, worried.

More than the ghosts in the horror films, we were scared of Sarah's dad. I personally find jails much better than her house. The rules he laid down for the family are horrifying and it's commendable that the Twins' mom didn't divorce him yet. I pitied her sometimes. I'm glad no one tortured me that way. My life has been a mess without a guardian like that. But sometimes I wish, maybe I should have someone like him to look after me. At least I'll have the satisfaction that a parent thinks about my well being.

"You know what?" John started, "I should have brought my car"

"Then why didn't you, dumbfuck?" I glared at him and rubbed my arms. It was cold and my very thin jacket was not helping to protect me from the chill. I just hoped I'll reach home on time so that I can deal with my irresponsible mother before freezing to death.

Everyone in the town knew I was rich and happening. The guys loved me for what I do and how I look. I had my share of boyfriends in the past and none of them seemed to get over me after I dumped them. I didn't want serious relationships that lead to forever and ever. I did not believe in the notion of marriage or eternal togetherness. I have seen how my parents were a complete mess despite having a romantic college wedding. They kind of drifted apart after I was born.

My dad left and my mom became a drug addict.

My dad loved me and wished that I get everything I wanted. He left his earnings, properties and all the ancestral artifacts for me. He sent his lawyer to make it clear that my mom must have no access to the money he was giving me unless I see it fit to share the cash with her. And did I mention my dad is stinking rich? So, yeah.

I really loved him. In fact, I loved him more than my mom. He was the sensible person among the two and I knew my mother's impulsive and arrogant nature led to their bitter divorce. I wish dad would have chosen differently. He could have taken me along and things would have been so much better. The biggest shock of my life came when I heard about my dad's death last year. He died of a sudden cardiac arrest and wanted me to attend his funeral. That was the first and last time I cried. I never thought my mom was worth crying for and I lost the man I admired more than anyone else. It took me a few months to get over the pain and act normal again. Sarah and the others helped me a lot and I will always be thankful.

"The Uber is here"

I snapped out of my thoughts and saw the car pull in.

"Thankfully" I muttered.

The driver apologized for being late. Apparently, he was new to the job and it's his first day. He was a young teen, probably working part time. I didn't want to complain and burst his bubble. He was very adorable when he was ranting about how nervous he was to drive around the town. As I sat beside him, leaving  the back seat for Sarah and John, I tuned his blabber out and focussed on the trees we were moving past.

They slowly disappeared one after the other and kept my mind off of things. I am not weak and I never will be. I don't have to worry about anything, even my mother. If she wants to kill herself with those drugs, she can go on and do it. I don't think it will affect me much.