Exile, Chapter 55

"ARE WE THERE YET?"
Keefe had already shouted that question over the whipping wind at least fourteen times. If he repeated it a fifteenth, Sophie was going to shove him into the dark waves below.

———

"I'm guessing a tickle war is out of the question," he asked. "Because you're pretty vulnerable right now."

"Try it and see what happens."

"You do realize that just makes me want to do it more, right?"

"I'm serious, Keefe."

"I know—that's the problem." He shifted his weight.

———

"Which I thought you cared about—Alden at least."

He was quiet for a few seconds, and Sophie thought he was going to ignore her. But then he leaned closer—close enough that she could feel his breath on her cheek as he said, "I know I crack a lot of jokes, Sophie, but . . . that's just because it's easier, you know? It's how I deal. But that doesn't mean I don't care. I do. A lot."

She was suddenly very aware of how close he was, and the way his arms were around her. She felt her cheeks flame and hoped he couldn't feel the change in her mood.

———

"Are you scared?" he asked quietly.

She shrugged, not trusting her voice.

"You don't have to be. I meant what I told Sandor. I'm not going to let anything happen to you."

She wanted to tell him he didn't have that kind of power. Instead she cleared her throat and said, "Thank you."

He leaned back, taking his warmth with him. But at least she felt like she could breathe again.

———

"Yeah, they do seem to like keeping their sense of mystery. Reminds me of someone else I know." He poked her side.

She smiled at the joke, but it also hit a nerve. "Do you think I hide too much?"

Her voice had barely been louder than the wind, but Keefe still asked, "What do you mean?"

"Grady and Edaline think I keep too many secrets."

"You do," he agreed. "But I'm guessing you've sorta had to, right? I mean, look at the kind of things you deal with. I don't really know how you do it."

Sometimes she didn't either.