Everblaze, Chapter 70

"So when do you leave?" Keefe asked, like he knew what she'd been thinking.

"Ugh—I swear, for an Empath, you act more like a Telepath."

"That's because I'd be an awesome Telepath. And I can guarantee, if I snuck into your head and saw secret things, I would tell you what they are. Most of them, at least. Okay, maybe just the part about you being completely lost without me and needing me to come with you when you leave."

———

"Yes, you do. I mean, you're also scared and stressed and stuff. But I can feel your resolve. Shoot—I could feel it down the hall. Which is why I had to come in and bug you. Because I want in—and before you say anything, you should know I'm not really giving you a choice in this. I'll follow you if I have to, but I'd rather not have to be creepy like that."

"Keefe—"

He took her hand, waiting for her to meet his eyes. "Don't make me beg, Sophie."

———

"I'm pretty sure this is the part where Sophie goes on and on and on about all the reasons why she's not going to let us go and we have to wear her down bit by bit," Fitz told him.

"You're not wearing me down!" Sophie insisted.

"She's cute when she's in denial, isn't she?" Keefe asked. "Especially covered in sparkly unicorns."

Sophie rubbed her head, wondering if it would be easier to hide in the bathroom until she was ready to leave.