Legacy, Chapter 11

She punched one of her pillows, but it wasn't nearly satisfying enough. She needed something more destructive, so she twisted and rugged and clawed at the silky fabric, hoping for a dramatic rip and a spray of feathers.

But pillows were a whole lot thought than she realized they could be.

Keefe gave her another reassuring shoulder pat-but when she flung the pillow aside and buried her face in her hands, she heard him growl something that sounded like "screw it." Then his arms wrapped around her and she sank into the hug, not realizing she was crying until she felt her tears soak into his tunic.

———

Sophie sighed. "I guess you're right."

"Of course I am- how many times do I have to tell you I'm a genius before you start believing me?" He laughed, and Sophie could feel the soft vibration where her cheek was pressed against his chest.

———

He flashed a particularly smug smirk, but Sophie could see the sadness behind it.

And it had her pulling him back into a hug.

Keefe had so many huge family problems of his own, and yet here he was, spending all this time helping her deal with hers- after staying up late figuring all this out.

"Thank you," she repeated, wising he didn't feel so tense in her arms. "I mean it, Keefe. I don't know if I'd be able to get through this without you."

"Yes, you could," he argued, finally relaxing as he leaned into the hug to whisper, "You're Lady Foster. The Dire Wolf of Team Fancy-pants. And I gotta day, you look awfully cute in a crown."

Heat burned from the top of her head to the tips of her toes- and even though she knew he was teasing, she was sure her cheeks were blushing.

"And I know I keep saying this," he added quietly, "but I want to make sure you don't forget it. "No matter what happens with Bronte, or whatever else we learn about your biological parents, or whether you stay unmatchable or not, it's all going to be okay. I promise."

And the funny thing was, in that moment, she actually believed him.