Neverseen, Chapter 17

On the fifth night, his curtains were at least open a crack, unleashing a shred of light. She decided to take the tiny opening.

"She didn't have any rocks to throw, so she settled for her shoes, picking the wobbliest, most uncomfortable-looking heels.

Nothing happened from the first THUNK! But the second THUNK! did its job.

"Are you throwing shoes at me?" Keefe asked, sliding open the window.

"Seemed like a good idea. Now I don't have to wear them."

He gave her a half smile, but it faded as he waved the air away from his face. "Wow, that is a lot of worry you're hurling at me."

"You kind of deserve it."

———

She dragged out her sigh. "Is there anything I can do?"

He started to shake his head, then stopped. "Actually . . . yeah."

"What?" Sophie asked, leaning out her window.
She didn't hear him the first time, and had to make him repeat.

"Promise me you won't hate me," he whispered.

"Why would I hate you?"

"I don't know. Maybe you'll decide I wasn't worth sacrificing your shoes."

"Now, that's never going to happen." She'd hoped that might earn her a smile, but Keefe wouldn't look at her. "I would never hate you, Keefe. Why would you even think that?"

"I don't know. I guess I just feel like I don't belong here anymore."

———

"You should go to bed," Keefe said as a gust of wind made Sophie shiver in her furry pajamas.

"I've got a better idea," she said, racing to her bed and grabbing Ella, her pillow, and the thickest quilt. She coiled the blanket around her and waddled back to the window like a fluffy burrito. "See? Window slumber party!"

Keefe laughed—laughed—and, after a slight hesitation, disappeared and returned with his own blanket and pillow.

The floor felt hard and cold. The problems ahead of them unimaginable.

But they weren't alone.

And that made all the difference.