Everblaze, Chapter 1

"WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?" Keefe shouted over the howling wind and the roaring sea. "Don't tell me the great Sophie Foster is afraid."

"I'm just trying to concentrate!" Sophie shouted back, wishing her voice didn't sound so shaky.

Not that she could fool him.

As an Empath, Keefe could feel the terror coursing through her veins like a herd of stampeding mastodons. All she could do was tug out an itchy eyelash—her nervous habit—and try not to think about how very far down the ocean was.

———

Still, she wished free-falling wasn't an essential part of teleporting.

"Want me to push you?" Keefe offered, laughing as Sophie jerked away from him. "Come on, it'll be fun—for me, at least."

Dex snorted behind them. "And he gets to go with you today."

"Uh, more like she gets to go with me," Keefe corrected, flashing his trademark smirk. "Go on, tell Dex who the Council contacted first."

"Only because your dad's in charge of arranging visits to the Sanctuary now," Sophie reminded him.

"Eh, firsties is still firsties. Just admit it, Foster. You need me."

———

"Hey, even my dad's not allowed to go with us. But don't worry"—Keefe draped an arm across Sophie's shoulders—"I'll take care of her for you."

Sophie wasn't sure who groaned louder, her or Dex.

Sandor grabbed Keefe's shoulders, lifting him off the ground. "If I find even one scratch on her—"

"Whoa, easy there, Gigantor," Keefe said, kicking the air, trying to squirm free. "I'm not going to let anything happen to her. But let's not forget that this is Sophie we're talking about. Odds are, we're going to need an Elwin visit."

———

"So we ready?" Keefe asked, swooping his arm to mime them diving off the edge.

Sophie's mouth went dry.

"You got this, Foster. Stop doubting yourself."

She nodded, trying not to look down as she asked, "Do you remember how teleporting works?"

"Well, last time we were kinda falling to our death and stuff, so it's a little blurry. But I'm pretty sure I just cling to you and scream like a banshee while you tear a crack into the universe, right?"

"Something like that. We go on three."