Nightfall, Chapter 61

"What are you doing here?" Sophie asked.

Keefe's smirk widened as his eyes finally found their way to hers. "It's good to see you too, Foster—though yowza, that's a lot of emotions to hit a guy with all at once. In case you need help deciding, I'd go with the part of you that wants to run over here for an epic Team Foster-Keefe hugfest, and not the part that wants to rip off my arms and smack me with them."

She looked away, blinking hard, trying to figure out how to respond.

Keefe closed the distance between them.

———

Keefe shrugged. "I was going to go with 'a sparkly poop head.' "

Sophie's lips twitched at that. "I should get you a T-shirt that says that."

"I'd wear it." Keefe leaned slightly closer. "I'm sorry, Sophie. Really. And I'll do whatever it takes to make it up to you. That's why I stayed in bed, even though I knew my mom had to be dragging you into a million dangerous things. I wanted to prove that I could do the right thing."

———

"You're doing that wrong, by the way. You have to end with a gold piece."

Sophie held up the three pieces she'd fitted together—both gold and one silver. "Then how come I've gotten farther than everyone else?"

"Because you can be wrong and still smarter than these guys," Keefe told her with a grin.