Legacy, Chapter 47

Apparently, she wasn't just losing her boyfriend.

She lost her friend- and even Fitz's faith and trust in her.

Which made her eyes staying in her nose burn, and she told herself, Breathe, breathe, breathe, because she was right about this, and if she started crying, she'd lose all of her credibility.

But the tears were welling up, turning everything blurry, and-

"Okay," Keefe said quietly, and Sophie spun toward him.

"Okay?" she asked.

He nodded, wrapping his hand around hers, twining her gloved fingers with his.

———

And Keefe chose to ask, "Seriously, what's up with you and Fitzy?"

And maybe it was because this really could be the last time they ever talked to each other- but Sophie didn't want to lie, or dodge the question.

She just couldn't seem to make herself say the words either.

So she grabbed his hand and pressed it to her collarbone- as close as she could get to her heart without it getting awkward- and said, "You're the Empath. You tell me."

Keefe closed his eyes, and his forehead got all crinkly.

And he whispered, "I'm sorry."

———

Sophie fought the urge to turn and hug Keefe goodbye.

Instead she told him, "Stay safe."

"I will if you will," he bargained. "Oh, and Foster? Fight hard. Don't hold anything back. And I'll see you soon."