Neverseen, Chapter 25

"Please," she whispered. "Working alone is so much harder—it's what I used to do, remember? Until someone forced me to include them."

One side of his mouth twitched with the hint of a smile. "Sounds like that person is a genius. Probably shockingly good-looking, too."

"Eh." She laughed when he actually looked wounded. "Oh please, you know you're a heartbreaker. You don't need me to tell you that."

"Hey, I have never broken any hearts."

"Maybe not intentionally. But come on. When you or Fitz start dating, there will be crying in the Foxfire halls. I bet there are girls crying now, wishing you guys hadn't left."

———

He tangled his arms around himself and shuddered. "But I don't know if I can fall asleep."

"Well, you're never going to relax in this hive-of-crazy!"

She grabbed a handful of notes and pulled them off the nearest wall.

"Don't—"

"I'm just getting them out of sight so we can organize them. This was you working alone. Now you have me."

"I do."

———

Keefe's breathing had slowed. She listened to the rhythmic sound as she stacked the tattered pages together, wishing she could clear away his worries as easily as she could clear away the scraps.

"Sweet dreams," she whispered as she turned to leave. "You deserve them."

Keefe didn't move, and his breathing stayed steady. But when she turned off the lights, she could've sworn his lips were smiling.