Nightfall, Chapter 11

"Meanwhile, you look especially sparkly," he added with a slow smile.

Sophie fussed with her jeweled sleeves—which matched the emeralds lining the knee-high boots she'd slipped over her lacy gray leggings. Biana had frustratingly pointed out that elaborate clothes would do a better job of disguising her gloves, so Sophie was trying to force herself to get used to wearing glitter and frills.

Keefe's lips tilted into his famous smirk as he crossed the room to stand closer. "I meant that as a compliment, Foster. Sparkles look good on you. So does the new hairdo."

He reached up, his fingers skating gently along the edge of the intricate braid weaving through the front part of her hair.

———

"If you're trying to impress me, it's working," he told her, and she felt her cheeks warm—until he added, "But, you always impress me, so maybe you were thinking of someone else?"

Sophie took a step back.

She knew he was only teasing, but that didn't stop her face from experiencing an entirely different kind of burn.

———

"I bet you'll sleep better tonight."

"Probably." He smiled, shaking his head. "I never thought I'd need a stuffed animal to sleep. But . . . I never knew I needed a lot of things before I met you."

Somehow he'd moved closer, and Sophie's throat went dry as he reached up and touched her braid again. Their eyes locked, and when his lips parted they seemed to curve with a different word than the one he eventually said. "Anyway."

———

"I'm pretty sure I've figured her out."

"Pretty sure?" Sophie repeated. "You want to risk everything on pretty sure?"

"The only thing I'm risking is me."

"Which is way more than I'm willing to lose." It came out mushier than she'd meant it to.

———

"But she also needs me—and I'm not saying that because I think my mommy loves me and misses me. I haven't believed that lie in years."

He said it so matter-of-factly, it made Sophie reach for his hand.

He watched her gloved fingers wrap around his.