Chapter 6: Let It Slip

"Honey, it's time to wake up." I hear from outside my door. I roll my eyes and move away from the bathroom sink where I have been applying my makeup.

"Mum, I know. My alarm goes off way earlier." I tell her, opening the door to see her blonde hair in a mess. She nods, taking a sip of her morning tea and thinking for a moment. I can't blame her for not knowing what time I actually get up nowadays but even still, at the back of my mind, I know that if she were more present in my life she would know these things.

"Right, well I have to host a dinner party tonight. Your friends are welcome to keep you company here whilst I play hostess." She says, offering a grin to me. I smile back and let her know I'll tell my friends before closing the door again.

I can barely remember the last time she had to host a dinner party. It's certainly the first she's had to do living here. Hopefully my friends will actually be able to come or I'll spend the night locked in my room like some Disney princess again.

When I was younger, the only time I could come out was for the actual meal but back then I was an extremely picky eater so I'd normally just stay in my room while they all ate oysters and escargot and shit like that. I did sit in once during dinner and it was soul-suckingly boring so ever since then, I've just stayed in my room. Maybe she'll bring me out to show off like some prize horse but other than that, it's just me and my thoughts.

With wonders about tonight, I finish getting ready and walk downstairs where my mum has prepared a bit of tea in a travel mug for me. I thank her and rush out the door, grateful for the warmth of the mug in the growing coldness of the weather outside.

***

"So you guys are willing to come over tonight?" I ask all of my friends for confirmation, just to make sure. Morgan rolls his eyes as he takes a bite from his sandwich.

"Damn Al, how many times do we have to say yes? Chill out." Jodie says, pushing on my shoulder a bit in an attempt to help me "loosen up."

"Yeah don't worry, girl. We'll be there. Seven o'clock." Morgan says with his signature smile across his face. I smile back, grateful that for the first time I have friends who actually want to hang out with me. I can't even imagine how cool summer would've been if I didn't shut myself off from them.

"So let's get to the important shit. Is there gonna be alcohol?" Emily says, raising her eyebrows suggestively. We all laugh for a moment and I take a bite of my lunch.

"Yeah probably. I'll just have to sneak some into my room before the night begins." I shrug, leaning back in the chair as they all cheer for me.

"Okay good, but just a fair warning; if I try anything with your mum, it's the alcohol's fault and not mine." Emily says, winking at me as my jaw drops.

"Woah Em, what the hell?" Morgan says, laughing with Jodie about it."

"Hey, have you seen Katherine? She's like an older version of Ally here and as Mrs Rocher said, Ally is hot." She defends herself, holding her hands up before crossing her arms in front of herself.

"Are you sure you aren't at least bi? This is the third lesbian comment you've said in like 24 hours." I say, laughing in unison with my friends.

"Hey, maybe I am. I wouldn't be surprised." Emily says, winking yet again in my direction. I blow her a playful kiss in response and she pretends to catch it and place it on her cheek.
The bell rings so we all stand, collecting our garbage and tossing it into the bin as we make our way out front. We follow the same procedure we've been following for the past week and a half. We all say our goodbyes, I hug each of them and they leave out the front while I open the office door.