Chapter 14: You or Me?

I spent pretty much all of Sunday just sitting with my knees to my chest on my bedroom floor. My mum came in once or twice to check on me, but like the moody teenager I am, I sent her away almost immediately every time. I didn't cry. I know that we'll be able to see each other and spend time together again soon. But I've locked myself in my room because if I allow myself out, I'm afraid I would instinctively go to her.

I've got school this morning and sitting in class, it takes just about every fibre of my being to not think about Natalie in some way. Class is boring, however, so it makes it difficult for my mind to not wander to more pertinent topics in my life. My mum is leaving for another trip in a few days and she'll be gone for a couple weeks this time. I'll actually have to go shopping for myself while she's gone. I should pick up extra shifts at the parlour so I can be sure I have enough money for it. At least I have the time to pick up more shifts now that Nat and I are apart... see?

With a heavy sigh, I lean back in my seat and wait for life to pass me by for a few hours. My grades are doing well so I needn't worry about that. I'm a quick learner anyway so I can pick up the stuff I'm missing in a quick tutoring session if need be.

"Do you think someone died?" Jodie's concerned voice pulls me from my thoughts and I look around, coming back into the noisy surroundings of the schoolyard during lunchtime. I see Morgan shrug and realise they're all looking at me— Emily included.

"What are we talking about?" I ask, curious to join the intriguing conversation. If someone in our group had a family member die, I want to be here to support them.

"We're talking about you, idiot. You were so out of it in class earlier, you answered a question in history with a math equation." Morgan says lovingly. I smile to brush it off and look at the concerned faces of my friends.

"Oh come on, guys. I'm just tired. Lighten up." I tell them, easing a laugh into the end of my sentence. Jodie gives me a look as if saying yeah right and Morgan raises his eyebrows in a playful manner.

"Do you think something happened with Mrs Rocher?" Emily asks to which Jode and Morgan gasp in unison. They chatter amongst themselves about it for a moment and I roll my eyes, not interested in talking about the events of the weekend. I doubt they'd understand it anyway, they'd just tell me that I should've drop kicked Simon into next month.

"Ally, weren't you coming to school with her for a few days last week? Did you two elope already?" Jodie says, finally bringing me back into the conversation about— oh yeah, me. Morgan nudges her side and she smacks him away, keeping her eyes trained on me.

"We carpooled a couple times last week but there was nothing else happening." I hear my voice waver as I lie and curse myself for being such a horrible liar when it comes to emotional shit like this. Emily pats my shoulder to comfort me but I shake it off with a grin.

"Hm. Okay, we're here for you when you want to talk about it. Just make sure you invite us to your wedding, eh?" Morgan says, crossing his arms indifferently before changing the topic to a quiz we had in calculus. I zone out again and watch the hoards of teenagers move about the large space in groups based on popularity and interests. People are so damn interesting...

"Maybe Mr Rocher caught them boning in their bedroom." The mention of Natalie's last name catches my attention and I feel myself get nauseous at the thought of that actually happening. Then my cheeks get red when I realise that Nat and I still haven't fucked. My friends don't know that, though.

"Oh look, Ally's back from her own little universe. Did something we say ring any bells for you?" Emily says, becoming rude about what she chooses to say to me. Morgan hits her hand in a reprimanding gesture and I roll my eyes once more.