Chapter 22: Unstoppable

"Just tell them you need to pick something up from the office for graduation. I want to see you, Ally." Natalie's desperate voice speaks through the phone; the first time I've heard it in 4 weeks. When we were told to stay apart, that's exactly what we did. Luckily, nothing has happened with those photos but I can tell you that Emily has not let me out of her sight. I'm sure Janelle is doing exactly the same with Natalie. That's why I stepped into the private student washroom to answer her call.

"I'd love to but I really can't. Emily would know something is up and so would Janelle." I speak quietly in case Em has followed me and is standing outside the door. Looking down at the sink, I get an idea while Natalie responds. I turn up the volume on my phone to be sure I can hear her while also turning on the tap so the running water muffles my voice.

"Yes, that's why I'm telling you to come now. Every day, on the dot, Janelle steps outside to pick up her food from her boyfriend and that leaves five minutes for you to get in here without her knowing. Then you stay in my office until after school and we leave together when she's gone. Emily isn't that hard to shake." Natalie says, her desperation turning to hope. I lean against the wall and bang my head gently against the hard surface.

"Natalie, are you absolutely positive it would be safe for me to come right now?" I ask, actually thinking of following her insane plan.

"One moment." I wait for a second and hear a door close. "Okay, now I'm sure. But come quickly before she gets back." I unlock the door and keep Nat on the phone as I traverse through the halls while also thanking my lucky star that Emily hadn't followed me into the hallway.

"I'm going around the concourse just in case Em is looking out for me." I tell her in a normal voice so I don't look like an idiot whispering into my phone while speed-walking through the near-empty halls.

"Good idea. I'll keep a lookout here at the front for you." She says and I hear the few voices from people around her in the front office.

"Tell me again why we can't just meet outside of school?" I ask to pass the time so she doesn't have to hear just the sound of my breathing as I make my way to her.

"Because Simon is home and he's on my ass worse than when my parents found out about Caroline and me. That's saying something." She answers, sounding absolutely exhausted for the first time since I've known her. Even after long days at work she has her usual tone of power in her voice but now it seems like something has broken her.

"Are you sure you're alright? I'd pay for you to stay at a hotel if you need it." I tell her with as much honestly as I can. I mean every word I say to her, I would spend every last cent on this woman to keep her safe.

"No it's fine, darling. You don't need to do that. I've dealt this man for 8 years, I can deal with him now." She answers, back to her usual voice full of confidence and prowess. I smile a little, trying to convince myself that she's telling me the truth.

"I just worry about you, Nat. I care about you so much." I say, willing my voice not to break. It scares me sometimes how much I really care for this woman. I've known her for less than a year and yet she's the only thing my mind can seem to focus on at any given time.

"Okay. Someone is coming, I have to hang up. I'll see you in just a moment, love." The line goes dead and I suddenly feel my heart drop as I realise I'll have to go into the main hall if I want to get to the front office. Damn the architect who designed this school.

***

"Holy fuck." I laugh as I get into the office and lock the door behind me. "Add another tick to the list of how many times Janelle has almost caught me." I tell her, dropping my bag into the leather chair that holds more memories than students called in here by Natalie. She pulls out the little paper and clicks her pen.