Chapter 10

My'Angel POV

I laid stretched out on the floor of the dance studio trying to catch my breath. Standing up I went and grabbed my phone to check the time. 1:45. I had about a half hour until my next class.

Suddenly the door to the studio opened. "Angel why are you here?". It was my friend Daphanine.

Me and Daphanie went to college together. She was my roommate. I was only minoring in dance, but she was a dance major. For a white girl she really could move. From there our friendship blossomed into us being co-owners of "Elite Movement".

"Working", I said in a duh tone.

"Have you ate lunch?"

I didn't respond.

"I'm going to take that as a no."

She came over to me and grabbed my dance bag.

"What are you doing?"

"Getting your stuff together. We about to go eat so you can tell me what's wrong."

"I can't just leave. I have another class to teach", I folded my arms across my chest.

"It cancelled. I texted and sent out an email. And for those who's phones are not on and don't have Wi-Fi, I put a note on the door. Anything else?" Without another word we left out the door.

Daphanie took us to this pizza parlor that was near the dance studio.

"So what's wrong?" Daphanie asked getting straight to the point.

"Nothin' daph I'm good."

"So you really gon' sit yo ass right here and lie to me?" I slammed my hand down on the table.

"What did I just say. I don't have a reason to lie to you." People turned their heads in our direction.

"Angel calm down and talk to me." Daphanie waited patiently for me to start talking.

I let out a sigh. "I'm really stressed right now. People are scheduling so many catering reservations it's ridiculous. I need new workers, but it seems like no one is fitting my qualifications", I ranted.

"And", Daphanie pressed.

"And. That's it."

"Angel I'm not stupid. I know what month it is and I know how you get", she reached across the table and grabbed my hand. "Angel you can always talk to me."

"Daph can we not talk about that, please?" She let go of my hand.

"Fine." We sat in silence. Daphanie was on her phone while I was stuffing my face with pizza.

"Alright so I have a song I want you to listen to", Daphanie said.

"What's the name of it?"

"Red Bottoms by some guy named Dave east." She handed me her phone so I could see his YouTube channel. There was nothing but audio. No pictures, no videos, no interviews, just audio.

"Who is he?", I said scrolling through her phone.

"Some underground rapper from Harlem. I heard he was being mentored by Nas and he's keeping his identity a secret.

"Why would he do that?"

"I have no clue. It's a interview somewhere up there talking about it. You know I didn't take the time to watch it", she said. I handed her phone back.

"Well can he rap?" Anybody can tell you to listen to somebody and they can't rap worth nothing.

"I'm going to let you be the judge of that."