Chapter 22

"Excuse me?" I looked at Zach in disbelief. Did he expect me to starve?

Zach set his jaw. "You heard me Amira."

I glared at him. "Zach you're not even supposed to be here. Aren't you busy?" I knew he had a couple of appointments in the next hour.

He locked eyes with me. "I can spare some time."

I tossed my hair behind my back, sighing heavily. "Well I already told Hector that I'm going to lunch with him." I stood up and straightened my blazer.

Zach's mouth twitched. "Amira," He then stepped closer, fully towering over me. He leaned in, his warm breath hitting my cheek. "I will gladly fire Hector right now if he's causing scheduling conflicts with me." His dark eyes met mine. "Are we clear?"

My pulse suddenly quickened. Since when did Zach become so hard to look at?

Heat crept up my face and I stepped away while Zach straightened back to his full height, sliding his hands into his trousers.

"Well what do you need me for?" I cleared my throat and tried not to appear bothered by his proximity.

Zach checked his watch. "I have a lunch date with Nina and I need you to come supervise it."

My pulse died and my glare returned. "You need me to what now?" My hands were on my hips.

"My father complained that I shouldn't go on dates with Nina alone so I told him I'd take you." Zach casually explained.

I looked at him with bewilderment. This man was literally not sound minded. He wanted the girl he kissed TWICE to go chaperone him with his future fiancée.

"No. Tell your dad I'm busy." I said and grabbed my bag. "Have fun Zach."

"Can't do that Amira." He sang and I turned around. "My father made it clear that you're my chaperone for the evening."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm having a really hard time believing you."

Zach was blocking me from going to lunch with Hector. I knew that, he knew that.

Zach eyed me, his eyes glanced at my lips. "Did I ever tell you that you have an amazing work ethic?"

I frowned. "You're actually insane and you need a mental eval." I started to leave but of course he had to say something.

"Am I sensing some jealousy?" He called out, his tone playful but teasing.

The hairs on my neck tingled. How dare he. I slowly turned around. "You know," I put my hands on my hips aggressively, "I could say the same thing about you." I narrowed my eyes at his towering frame.

Zach threw his head back and laughed. Of course, he was insane.

"So funny huh!" I wanted to throw my purse at him. Being professional was so out the window.

Zach stopped laughing and looked at me, a smirk playing on his lips. "I love how this is playing out."

"You're an asshat." I muttered.

Zach stuck his index finger in the air. "Oops what work law does that violate Miss. KnowItAll?" His eyes glimmered with mischief. "I'm pretty sure it's in that fat boring book of rules somewhere."

I rolled my eyes to avoid going there and actually choking him. "Leave me alone and go meet your fiancé!"

Zach sighed. "Ah yes the dreadful date."

I didn't respond and checked my watch. It didn't surprise me that Zach was backing out with his gorgeous date with his possible fiancé. What surprised me was the actual effort he was putting in to try and involve me in it.