4. The Talk.

4.

*     *     *

The blaring sound of the alarm got  Ilyas up from bed, he rubbed his eyes with his palm, say a short du'a, and haphazardly made his way to the bathroom.

He performed wudhu (ablution) and headed downstairs where he met his father who was already waiting for him in the sitting room.

"As salamu alaykum." He greeted his dad with a gruff voice.

"Walaekum salam son. How was your night?" Hussein asked while adjusting the cap on his head.

"Alhamdulillah, and yours sir?" Ilyas asked

"Shukrolillah" Hussein replied.

They made their way outside.  Yahya, the gateman, opened the gate for them and they headed to the mosque.

After observing their prayer, as they were on their way back home, Ilyas observed the silence of his father which was unusual of him because he is either making a joke with Yahya or talking about politics. The man was never one to be this quiet.

Ilyas decided to ask his father about the cause of his moodiness.

"Dad, what's the matter?" He asked turning his head slightly to look at the man's face.

"Nothing at all omo mi" Hussein replied to his son with a smug look trying to hide his moody expression.

"No dad, I know every of your expression and I really think something is wrong." He turned to face Yahya.

"Yahya, what do you think?" He asked the man who was trailing silently behind them waiting for the moment he will be called to intervene.

Although the man might be their gateman they still treat him like family. He had spent almost three years with them so he knew practically everything that was going on within the family.

"You are right sir. I've been observing that as well." Yahya said.

"See dad just tell me what the matter is." He probed further.

Seeing that his son had no intention of leaving him to his thought he decided to open up to him.

"How old I'm I?" Hussein asked.

Ilyas groaned inwardly knowing fully well where the discussion is heading and how it will end and immediately wishing he hadn't asked.

"You are sixty-one." Ilyas answered.

"Good, how old are you?" Hussein asked again.

"I'm twenty-seven." Ilyas replied.

At this Yahya let out a chuckle because he already knew where the discussion is heading as well.

Hussein sent him a glare that shut him up while Ilyas look at him with a grim look and he flash him a mocking smile in return.

"In the next three months, you will be twenty-eight, on or before then I want you to do your akdu nikkah (engagement)."

...And they fell into silence.

Ilyas was in a daze for a few seconds before his mind picked up on what his father just said.

Although he knew what his father was going to say, he didn't foresee the ultimatum.

"What dad?" He asked looking as if he had just gulped a whole lot of stupefying potion.

"I said your akdu n..."

"I heard what you said dad, I just want to verify."

Yahya who had been holding in his laughter couldn't suppress it anymore and burst out which once again earn him a glare from both father and son.

"I don't even have anyone to introduce to you." Ilyas said.

"Don't worry about that son, you will have that someone before three months is up." He said with a smirk on his face which looked annoying to Ilyas.

By now they have reached the gate of their house, and Yahya opened the gate for them. Hussein headed straight inside the house humming a tune to himself.
Ilyas stood akimbo looking at his father's retreating figure with a confused look on his face.

"Happy married life in advance oko iyawo" Yahya joked giving him a light pat on the back

"I don't like jokes" Ilyas retorted

"It wasn't a joke" He said before going into his side of the house.

Ilyas shook his head with an almost invisible smile on his lips he went inside thinking of that someone whom he wished to introduce to his dad.

He hoped.

*     *     *

"Baby boo!" Samiah yelled as soon as Ruqqoyah entered the boutique.

"Baby boo boo!" Ruqqoyah replied with the same enthusiasm.

"Guess who is in town?" Samiah said as they were walking toward their office.

"Uhmm... Who?" Ruqqoyah asked.

Samiah scoffed "I said guessed, not asked."

"Fine, I don't know."

"Becca." Samiah replied with a grin.

"Rebecca is in town? No way..." Ruqqoyah said with a sign of visible happiness on her face.

"Actually, it's yes way 'coz I saw her yesterday." Samiah answered.

"OMG!! Where?"

"My house"

"Wow... That means I will see her today."

Samiah jumped at this because it was always fun and crazy whenever the trio were together.

"At our usual hangout place right?"

"Yes of course." Ruqqoyah replied as they were settling down for the day's work.

Rebecca a.k.a Becca was a friend they made during the first year of their school days. And they have been friends since then. She left for Port Harcourt after her youth service to stay with a relative.

Although they are of a different faith, that didn't stop them from being the troublesome trio they were known for.

"And she has a surprise for you." Samiah said with a playful smirk on her face.

"Oh really...what is it?" Ruqqoyah asked.

"It wouldn't be a surprise anymore if I tell you. Would it?" Samiah said, giving her a tongue out.

"Yeah, whatever. Don't talk to me till closing time." Ruqqoyah replied, annoyingly.

"As your ladyship pleases."

Ruqqoyah threw a pen at her which she dodged.

*    *    *

He had been pondering about what his father said. And knowing his father for the no-nonsense man he is, he knew he might appear playful but he is very serious about it.

Thinking of it, he had achieved one of his aims in life and that is to have his own architectural firm. Although he might not be that big yet, he could proudly say he is getting there.

So what's keeping him from getting married? The answer is nothing. Absolutely nothing.

With that in mind, he rounded up for the day and decided to act fast about the next step of his life.

*    *     *

Don't forget to:
Vote
Comment
Share &
Follow

Love
Rhizzqort 💖