12. The Bygone.

How foolish is man? He ruined his present by worrying about the future, but weeps in the future by recalling his past.
_Ali bn Abu Talib (RA).

Enjoy💕

*    *    *

The time stilled.

Ilyas looked dumbfounded unable to comprehend what she has just said. He wasn't sure whether he had heard her right or his sense of hearing was playing a trick on him.

"W..what?" He stuttered not knowing exactly what to say to what he thought he heard, he just decided to ask again.

"I'm not a virgin" Ruqqoyah repeated her earlier statement amidst uncontrollable tears.

So he had heard her right in the first place he just couldn't believe what she said.

"I had a secret boyfriend when I was in school during my first year" Ruqqoyah couldn't stop herself from saying. Since she had told him the main issue why not come up clean about the rest?

"I ended it towards, my second year when I figured out he doesn't love me as I thought. It was just me being stupid." All the while she couldn't look him in the eyes, she was too ashamed to do that.

Ilyas couldn't utter a word, he was just looking at her unbelievably. Not once since their first encounter did he have such thoughts toward her it has never once crossed his mind.

She looks too calm, too gentle, somewhat naive for him to think of her like that. She may be a tad bit crazy but he never thought to that extent. She just looked so innocent.

"I'm sorry for telling you just now when the wedding is just in a month. I just couldn't bring myself to tell you sooner." She sniffled. "I will accept whatever decision you make and I will place it upon myself to tell both families that the fault is mine." She concluded.

"W..what?" Ilyas stuttered again making that the second statement he has uttered since the beginning of her confession.

Ilyas was silent for a while which seemed like a decade to her. The only sound that could be heard is the tickling of the wall clock in the office and her occasional sniffling.

'She had thought everything through' He thought.

During their few times together and their first meeting he could tell she feel the same way about him as he did about her with the awkward glances and how she would smile shyly when their eyes met.

Thinking about canceling the wedding must be a hard decision for her to make. A very hard one.

The moment she dreaded the most is finally here. When she was coming earlier to meet him a tiny part of her was hoping he wouldn't call off the wedding.

Now that he has refused to say anything to her, she knew he was letting his silence do the talking.

Silence means yes right? Or so she thought.

"I'm not calling off the wedding." He said in a monotone surprising her.

Her head whipped up so quickly she could have sworn she heard a crack in her neck but that was less of her concern right at the moment she needs to make sure she heard him right.

"What?" She asked eyes going wide almost over their size limit.

He shrugged "I'm not calling off the wedding" He repeated.

"But why I...I just told you..."

"I know" He cut her off. "But it is in the past." He shrugged again. "The fact that you took it upon yourself to tell me before the nikkah is enough proof for me that I could trust you" He said with another shrug.