Nine months after

Georgia -

It was coming close to that time of year again. Only a few more months until the farmhouse was open to ghost hunts again. Although the days were becoming lighter and longer, I still found myself rushing to get things done. There had been some major changes to the business; Sarah got a new job taking care of some historical sight down south, so I had to employ a few more people to help get things on track. I didn't blame Sarah for finding a job, she only volunteered to help me.

Just as I started missing her, she called me. "Hey Gee, I know it's early in the morning but I just want to let you know that I'm coming over today to help give a hand like old times" she sounded slightly different. I could hear James in the background "tell her I said Hi" I sure was glad to hear that they were coming back.

The morning was already showing signs of a hectic day. In just five hours of opening, 185 people had visited. But all was possible with my extra staff. It just happens to be that the day is always busy when the weather is scorchingly hot. Mike, one of my employees, was leading a tour when he asked me to take over "Georgia, there's a queue outside waiting for the next tour"

"Yeah okay I'll see if Gemma can cover it. You carry on"

"Gemma's got heatstroke. She's sprawled out on the bench outside"

"Shit. Okay don't worry. I'll see to it" I quickly started speed walking to the main gate, knowing Sarah would be five minutes away. Then I heard "I'm sorry I'm late. James dropped me off. You know how slow he drives" everything about her had changed, she'd lost weight, dyed her hair red and seemed so busy. "You're on time!" I grabbed her by the hand and led her to the queue "will you sort the tickets for these please. Our receptionist is currently passed out"

"Wait-" I handed her an 'open' sign and left. Now it was time to get to work. As I saw Mike leading his tour, I noticed a gentlemen facing away. He had broad, muscular shoulders and dark hair. I stared for a while 'Is that-' I thought to myself 'No, it can't be' I squinted as I tried to focus on the tourist. The man turned to face me. Wrong person. I should've known. I'd been mistaking other people for Him for a long time now. It certainly wasn't as bad as it was a few months back.

I stood at the desk that I'd dumped Sarah at. "How's it going?" I asked. "Okay… sort of. We're on break at the moment which will give us about an hour until the next tour" she didn't sound stressed but you could see she was juggling tasks. "You take a break when you need to" I patted her on the shoulder and headed towards the front of the house. Around one hundred and seventy people were outside. Some, spread across the grass with picnic blankets and umbrellas, others, fanning themselves near the ice cream truck. There was a nice variety of people; German tourists, French tourists, Brazilian tourists, there were lots. I felt proud of myself for getting to where I was. Just listening to the different languages and accents mixing, was lovely. A particular accent caught my attention; it was western. I listened closer and tried to pick it out from the crowd. I was unable to see who it was coming from.

I scanned the heads in the crowds until I heard the voice again "so that's where it's coming from" I said to myself quietly. This was pretty stupid of me considering there were many Western people present that day. I even walked further to the point that I was higher up to get a better look. Heat waves morphed some of the faces but I was able to pick out features.

There was a minute gap between two families which caught my attention. This gap was in the same direction as the accent. I kept my attention towards it. Then all of a sudden a man dipped his shoulder between two people to squeeze passed. He was slightly taller than most of the people and he was wearing a black snapback and shades. I never thought anything of it until I heard him speak "Excuse me. Sorry. Can I just-" he said whilst passing people. He had a distinctive American accent. I could only see from the neck up through the crowds of people. He was on his own and seemed to be searching for something. I tried balancing on my tiptoes to get a better view. Why was I drawn to this guy. As quick as he appeared, he disappeared. I had to find out who he was. I started skimming through the nest of people. Swerving in and out. I just started getting faster and further into the crowd when..SMACK! I went face planting into someone. My face quite literally slapped into the chest of this stranger. The left side began to throb slightly. "Aaah. Sorry about that" I tried speaking but I was too dazed from the collision.