Bad timing

We'd spent the night wrapped around each other, the wet sheets piled on the floor. The call of sirens in the distance was our lullaby and the colossal moon was our nightlight. Our bodies were calm yet a blazing fire was spindling around us. The beating of our hearts was the African drum and in our own way, we were dancing around the fire.

Doors opening and closing and the odd conversation from in the corridor, eventually woke us up. Zak's hair was scruffed and his body was stretched across the mattress. I smiled to myself as I watched him sleep; it was such a sight. "What time is it?" the words escaped but his body was still dormant. How did he know I was awake? "Erm... It's.. 9am" I squinted at my phone's screen, still half asleep. It had taken him some time to respond as his brain registered the time "9...9am... Shit! 9am?" he bolted up with great speed. "Shit! Shit! Shit!" he was dressed in seconds, with his shirt back-to-front.

"Zak..." I watched the chaos.

"Yes, yes, yes?" he stopped to look at me. I gestured a twirling motion with my index finger.

"Back-to-front" I mimed, slapping my hand to my mouth to stop the laughter escaping. He looked at me, then at his shirt, then back at me... "Oh fuck!". It was amusing being the spectator, watching him limbo around the room. He had on a woolen beanie yet he was without pants. I could hear him brushing his teeth frantically whilst mumbling to himself. "Right, I'm leaving now. I've got my cell with me if you need me" he placed a finger beneath my chin and tilted my head up to steal a kiss. The taste of mint toothpaste was lingering on his lips. "Come on..." I pulled back "you're going to be late". He swiped his keys from the bedside table. I slapped him on the backside to shoo him on "Go, go, go" he trotted towards the door before turning to say "Love you". The door shut before I could respond.

I checked to see if he was coming back and then burst into a victory dance. Butterflies whizzed and back flipped in my stomach. The feeling was indescribable. "He loves me... he loves to kiss me..." I chanted around the room like a native Indian.

The day was beautiful and so I made plans to go meet up with Sarah. I threw on some casual shorts and a baggy shirt, and set off out the door. My chant was stuck in my head and my smile was glued to my face. 'Stop smiling, people will stare' I told myself. Each stride was bouncy and content. As I stepped outside the room door, I pulled out my phone to find three missed calls from Zak. What the-

"I knew you would" a voice behind me spoke up. Still confused with my missed calls, I turned around.

"Nick..." My heart sank and twisted "It's been a while" I compelled a smile. He, on the other hand, was more believable.

"That's Zak's room, isn't it?" it was clear by the look in his eyes that he knew, very well, who's room it was. He placed his hand on the door and leaned against it. His false smile was intimidating and preventing me from speaking.

"Nice seeing you" he pushed himself off the door and walked on without saying another word. I watched him walk away and waited for him to disappear around the corner. "Shit!" Immediately, I started dialing Zak, pacing in the opposite direction as I did so. "Come on, come on, pick up" it went straight to answerphone.

I ran to the elevator across the hall, this time he called me. "Georgia! Nick is still at the hotel! I've just arri-" before he could continue, I interrupted.

"I know, I know!"

"Oh shit... How do you know?" he was quiet. I squeezed my eyes closed, wishing I didn't have to tell him. I held my breath.

"He's seen me" I said it as quickly as I could. He heard what I'd said and went silent... I could hear Aaron greeting him in the background.

"I'll call you back" he hung up. Three beeps on the other line, verified so.