Sound of your heart

You were my courage, My sword and shield
I was a stone, Weighting is down
You were the angel, I chained to the ground

~Wren~
Fear grips my stomach when he runs out of the house.

"Kory!" I scream after him. I follow him to the house door and see the dark shadow I sensed earlier follow him. "Shit!" I shout, about to kiss my ring. Kelly grabs my arm to stop me though.

"What's going on kid?" He asks sternly, all business now.

"Someone is here to assassinate these two, you stay here." I tell him and sprint after the shadow. I track Kory, knowing full well the shadow will cover his tracks well. I get to an alleyway and see Kory, someone standing behind behind him with a gun to his head.

"Goodbye Prince Kory." They say in a gravely, deep voice.

"No." I breath and rush over to the man, grabbing his hand and pointing it at the sky. The shot goes off and I push Kory to the ground.

The man fights for his hand back, and in my worry for Kory I lose my grip. He whips me across the right side of my face with the handle of the gun. I managed to dodge it slightly, lessening the strength of the blow. My head snaps to the side, then back.

The gun is pointed at the shaking Kory, mostly shielded by my body, behind me. I grab the gun with my right hand and snap his hand away from the gun with my left. He hisses at the force of the blow.

"Who the fuck are you?" I growl, allowing my anger to set in. I point the gun at his head. His hands fly up in surrender. He doesn't answer so I rip off his hood, then his crappy ski mask.

"Tiamand?" Kory asks from behind me. My eyes are set on the man in front of me. Kory's hands are on my waist, shaking violently in fear. I have a feeling that being this close to me calms him. "Why are you trying to kill me?"

"Because, you filth, it means your brother will have to be the heir," the man growls at Kory. I push him back slightly to place more distance between him and the shaking boy behind me. "And your brother is quite the fine specimen. I wonder what he'd look like one all fours on my bed."

My anger soars as the words leave his mouth. I hand Kory the gun and smash this Tiamand against the brick wall. Swiftly I grab a knife and put it to his neck.

"Talk about him like that again and you'll pay with your life." I growl, watching the amusement leave his face and be replaced by pure fear. "Tiamand, I recognize that name." I allow the amusement to fill my voice. "Maybe you sent a group of elves to kidnap a girl named Jen?" I ask in a menacing way. He shies away from me, giving me more satisfaction then it should.

"I'll kill her." He says in a shaky voice. "She means something to you, the only leverage anyone can get on you, you don't do as I say and she's dead." He says, more confidence now.

"If you were going to kill her, you would have by now." I grip his throat with my hand and run the dagger in my hand over my thigh, coating it in my blood. I plunge it deep into the man's stomach and pull it away, releasing him. I wipe the blade on my sleeve then put it back in its place. "Tell your father I'm coming for her. And I'll kill anyone who gets in my way." I growl and he disappears.

My attention turns to Kory, who's dropped the gun and is shaking again. I pull my mask from my face.

"Wren." His voice is trembling, almost as much as his body. I open my arms to him and he rushes into my grip, tears falling down his face, arms gripped tightly around my chest.

"What were you thinking?" I scold. My arms are tightly bound around his waist, holding him flush against my body. "You don't know how to mask yourself. He could have killed you if I wasn't here." I push him away from me to look him in the eye as I speak. He stares into my eyes, tears staining his perfect face. I pull him back into my arms, securing them around his neck.