Sneak peak

~Wren's POV~
I stared at the witch with a deadly look. She smirked at me and my request.

"Can you do it?" I ask in more of a growl. I hate her. I hate it here. I hate that I need to come to her for help. I hate looking weak, especially in front of her of all people.

"Yes." She says in her snarky voice. I glare knives at her. She smiles lovingly at me while walking over to me. She brushes her hand over the side of my face, over the faint scar there. The scar is so faded not many can actually see it unless you know its there. I want to smack her hand away, but can't find it in myself for some reason. "My poor, sweet boy." She whispers, her cruel face softening into one of love.

"Mama!" A young boy calls, running into the small room. He sort of looks like a younger version of myself. The witch turns her attention to him as i pull out of her grip. The kids face goes cold with fear as he looks at me.

"What is it, Cato?" She asks the child. He couldn't be more then 16 years old. He turns his attention back to his mother.

"There are men here. They stink like wolves." The boy says, gasping for breath. The witch goes ridged.

"Tell your father, find Kalin and hide." She tells him. He nods and runs off. She turns her attention to me then. "I'll do it." She tells me simply, turning to gather different ingredients for whatever she was concocting. I stare at her dumbfounded.

"What?" I ask. She looks up for a split second then turned back to her pot.

"I never meant to make you as cold as you are. I only wanted what was best for you." She tells me, stopping to chant some spell. "I created the poison that consumes your very being, I can easily make something to help others be immune to it just like you, and Kelly." She is rushing around like a chicken with its head cut off. She hands me a small, glass vile of a crimson red liquid.

"What's your price?" I ask her, grabbing the vile and staring down at it with wonder. Her hand is on the side of my face again. I look up and into her amazingly blue eyes.

"Take care of yourself." She tells me, the other hand reaching up to cup my face. "And run as far away from that evil council as you can." She leans forward and places her forehead on mine. "Make sure that they take that of their own free will. Mix it with some other drink. Allow it to settle for ten minuets before you do anything." She tells me. She places a kiss on my forehead that catches me by surprise. "Now run." She tells me, running out of the small room.

I follow her and leave the house. Under the protecting of my shadow cloak I leave the small family of four to the pack of wolves. I have my own loved ones to get back to. I run for what feels like hours, but is really minuets. There's a sharp tug in my chest that almost brings me to my knees. I turn around and see the small house on fire.

I drop my cloak and stand beside a tree, leaning on it for support. The sight before me is terrifying. A small boy, maybe eight, is screaming for his mother. His older brother, Cato, holds him, tears falling down his face.

The screaming. The terror. The blood.

My memories in gulf me at that moment.