Special Pet Part 17

Margaret tries desperately to get out of the pen. It doesn't work because there is a forcefield on top except for when her owner is there.

    "Come!" Margaret cries.

    Quigor comes to the pet to see what she wants. Margaret reaches up towards her owner, wanting to be taken out of the pen.

    "Okay, Margaret," Quigor says, gently picking the human up.

    As soon as she is picked up, Margaret tries to squirm free. Quigor realizes that the pet just wants free reign of the house and puts her back into her pen with her toys.

    "No, Margaret. Stay. Play, Margaret," Quigor says, leaving her alone.

    But Margaret doesn't want to play with the toys. She wants her paper and crayons so she can draw a picture of the beach. Then she can show it to her owner and go back there.

    "Come play Margaret!" Margaret calls to her owner.

    But Quigor is busy doing chores and can't play right now. They also can't be chasing the human around the house right now, which is why she's in her pen with her toys. "No, Margaret," Quigor says firmly.

    Quigor returns later after their chores are finished to find the human hugging her stuffed animal and crying. Quigor carefully picks her up and holds her, petting her softly to try and calm her down. She is still holding her stuffed animal.

    "It's okay, Margaret," Quigor tells her very gently.

    "Play?" Margaret asks. She looks up and suddenly sees her paper and crayons on a very high shelf. It doesn't make any sense to her why her owner would put them there. ( Quigor had put them there while cleaning and had forgotten to move them down lower where the human can reach them.) 

    "Play! Play! Play!" Margaret cries, pointing to the paper and crayons on the shelf. She reaches towards them.

   Quigor realizes what the human wants and gets them down for her. Margaret spends the rest of the night very carefully drawing a very detailed picture of the beach. Quigor watches her and recognizes the drawing as a flat illustration of the beach.

    When she is finished drawing it Margaret points to her picture of the beach and says "Margaret come play?"

    Quigor is quite amazed at this remarkable attempt to communicate with them. Then they realize what she was doing all of those times she pretended to draw. "This shows real intelligence, to be able to create a wax image of what she wants on flat plant material," Quigor thinks. But it is time to put the human to bed now so she cannot go to the beach tonight.

    "No play Margaret," Quigor says gently, carrying her to the bathroom and then to her bed. They don't know how to explain to her that she can go to the beach a different day.

    Quigor decides to teach Margaret the word for bed. They touch the bed and keep repeating the words to her until she understands and repeats it back to them.

    "Good, Margaret!" Quigor says, placing her in bed for the night.

    Quigor picks Margaret up out of bed in the morning. After she uses the bathroom she is carried to her highchair for breakfast.

    Margaret is very confused about why she is still wearing her nightgown, when normally she would have been given clothes to put on before breakfast.

    Quigor feeds the human pancakes and orange juice for breakfast.

    Margaret stares in shock at her owner. She can't believe they are eating "teacups!" She spills her orange juice all over her pancakes because she is so distracted. They don't taste good covered in orange juice so she refuses to eat them.