Page 23 (Part One)

July 2, 2018

"Henry." Violet's voice was soft, softer than it should have been. But that wasn't enough to get Henry to look up at her, and it wasn't enough to clear his guilt away.

"I know, I get it. I'm broken and you don't want me."

"You're not broken," Violet assured him. "You are the furthest thing from broken, Henry..." Violet sighed. She sat down next to him and took one of his hands in hers. "This doesn't make me lo-- care about you any less."

"But don't you feel, I dunno... lied to? Used?"

"Of course not!"

"Why?"

Violet shrugged. "Henry, we're teenagers. We're all still trying to figure out who we are. Questioning who you are is fine. Sometimes, getting it wrong is just part of the process. You're not a horrible person for getting it wrong, and don't let anyone make you think that. Besides, we've been dating for two years now. I could never just toss you aside like that. But," Violet stood up, "I think you need some time. So I would like to break up. But only because I care about you. A lot. You need to take some time to figure out exactly what this means for you, and I don't want to be in your way. I'll be there to help you with anything you need, as your friend. But I can't make you accept yourself. Only you can do that."

~

July 4, 2018

Henry took a deep breath. He knew he needed to do this, but that didn't make it any less scary. "Can we talk?" Henry hated how shaky his voice sounded.

"Of course." Regina gestured for Henry to sit down next to her. "Is everything okay?"

Henry shrugged.

Regina's expression immediately turned into one of concern. "What's wrong?"

"I--" Henry's words got caught in his throat. He looked down at his hands, unable to face his mother as the words, "I'm aromantic," tumbled out from his mouth in a whisper. "Sorry," his voice was barely audible now.

"You have nothing to be sorry about." Regina placed a hand on Henry's shoulder. "Look at me." Henry looked up at Regina. "Do not ever apologize to anyone for being aromantic. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that."

"I just... I feel broken," Henry confessed. "All around me are fairytale characters who's happily ever after is a true love or soulmate, and I... I just don't feel that. I see you and Robin or my mom and dad or grandma Snow and grandpa David or Ruby and Dorothy or pretty much anyone, and the happily ever after is always finding your true love. But... I probably don't have one, and--" Henry stopped talking so he could wipe away the tears that had begun to spill from his eyes, "and I'm afraid that maybe I'm just destined for an unhappy ending or something because what kind of fairytale character doesn't have romance? It's not even that I'm against it or anything. I don't mind kissing and all that stuff, I just... don't feel quite how I think I'm supposed to. Kissing doesn't mean anything to me."

"You will get your happy ending," Regina promised. "And you're not broken. Fairytales don't need romance. The damsel in distress/knight in shining armor thing is getting old anyways. Even with a gay twist on it. Look at some of Disney's recent movies - Brave, Frozen, Moana, they all featured fairytale characters without a love interest and said character got their happy ending. You don't need romance to be happy. It's about time we get some heroes without romance anyway. Romance isn't the end all be all of life, and it's not necessary for your happily ever after. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise." Regina leaned forward and brought Henry into a hug. "I love you. No matter what."

~

August 4, 2018

Regina, Robin, Violet, and Avery were the only ones who knew about Henry being aromantic so far. He figured he'd come out to the rest of his friends soon, but Avery had been easiest to come out to because they were aro as well. And he needed to tell Violet since he had technically been dating her.

Emma and Neal were a different story. Henry had absolutely no idea how they would react. He knew his mom would accept him, and his dad would come around eventually, but his dad also had a thing for wanting things to play out correctly. And things being played out correctly almost definitely meant that Henry was not aromantic, so there was that. He knew he would have to come out eventually, but he just wasn't ready quite yet.

Henry was pondering who else he might want to come out to at the moment (perhaps Merida, since she was on the aromantic spectrum as well?) when there was a knock on his bedroom door.

Henry got up quickly, assuming it was probably his mom or Robin. It could be Roland, but Roland's knock was generally a lot softer. He opened the door and was met by a girl he might have recognized.

"This is for you." She held a piece of paper out to Henry.

Henry took it hesitantly. He unfolded it slowly and read the words written in fancy handwriting.

once again the darkness reigns
no man alive can break the chains
the blade must hold the Dark inside
two souls together tied
beware the future growing cold
for few know what it shall hold
if soulmates die, all light should fade
two souls reaped by a cursed blade
destroy the Dark to end the fight
but lack of Dark is lack of light

Confused, Henry turned the paper over. Three words were written on the other side, and these three were clearly rushed.

save the Queen

Henry looked up, hoping the girl might be able to explain what, exactly, all of this meant, but she was already gone.