Entry 9 - Just Imagine This Working if I Was As Boring As Him

"So you're saying that your favorite color is black? But that's it even a color!"

"Okay, technically it's the absences of all colors, but I don't know why you are mocking me. I didn't make fun of your favorite color!"

"Because it's just like you to have black as your favorite color! It's a good thing I'm here to bring color into your life. You didn't make fun of it because you secretly know that pink is the best color in the world."

"Pink cannot be your favorite color!"

"Why? Are you one of those people who think pink is only for girls?"

"Well, no, but-"

"You are! I can see it in your eyes! Well guess what?"

"What?"

"Pink is my favorite color, and my favorite sweats happen to be pink, so you'll have to get used to it." He looked at me for a few moments, trying to make up his mind as to whether or not I was being serious. Let me tell you, I definitely was.

"I can't tell if you are pulling my leg or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if you had pink sweats."

"I look amazing in them, just saying!" Thomas shook his head, and looked down at his menu.

"So, I don't see any cameras. What's the point in this lunch?"

"The point is that we get to know each other, obviously." He looked at me as if I had missed a really obvious point, then laughed. "Actually my dad doesn't give a damn if we know each other or not. The point is to be seen by people in general, and for there to be pictures of us arriving and leaving."

"Oh, I see. Speaking of colors though, do I get to pick out anything for the wedding? Like colors or anything like that?"

"To tell you the truth, I haven't even thought about that at all. But I can ask if you want."

"That would be really awesome if you did. I'd like to be able to have a say in something, especially since I didn't have a say in who I was marrying." He nodded, and unreadable expression in his eyes.

"In totally understand that. And I only heard about it the same day you did, so I didn't have a say either." I figured now was as good a time as any to ask some of the questions I had.

"Is there someone you would rather have married?" Pain filled his eyes, and I wished I hadn't asked. He looked down at his hands that were folding and unfolding his napkin.

"I...um..."

"You don't have to talk about it if you don't want."

"No, it's alright." He paused, and looked off into the distance. It was so long before he spoke, that I almost tried to change the subject. Just then, he answered.

"Her name is Joan. I met her when I was nineteen and fell head over heels." He smiled, and looked back down at his hands. "But she is only the daughter of a lord, not half good enough for the second son of a king." He spoke bitterly.

"And so we kept out relationship a secret for three years, always telling each other that we would make my dad come around in the end. Only for this to happen." His fist clenched. "I'm sorry, but I think you'll understand why this whole wedding is so hard for me."

So I really had no hope of this ever becoming anything more. It's a little depressing if you think about it.

"Yeah, this whole thing is pretty messed up." I forced a laugh, surprised at the tight feeling in my throat. I think I just then realized how lonely this was going to be.