Entry 47 - I Don't Always Do the Smartest Things

"Alan!" I looked around in shock at the sound of Thomas' voice. I didn't expect him to try and talk to Alan when we were about to leave. In fact, I didn't expect him to talk to Alan ever.

Alan, who had been standing in the shadows of the courtyard watching us prepare to visit Elliot, looked up in surprise. I cursed myself inwardly. It never came to my mind to tell Alan what the actual plan was for when we got there.  As far as he knew we were just going for the party, and getting a chance to see Elliot. A change that he didn't have.

"I've instructed one of my chauffeurs to drive you to my estate, and the servants there will be expecting you. Really, if all goes to plan, we all should be arriving there, with Elliot, tomorrow evening or early the next morning."

"W-what?"

Shit! I should have told him! He looked so surprised, tears gathering in the corners of his eyes, but a spark of hope gathering there as well.

"We are going there to bring Elliot back." Thomas told him gently, probably realizing that he wasn't in on the plan.

Alan had moved closer to us now, standing near the car we were about to enter. Many emotions crossed his face in a matter of moments, and I didn't blame him for being surprised.

"You're not fucking with me, right? You guys wouldn't do that to me. Not about this." He looked at me for confirmation.

"He's not fucking with you. We really are going to bring back Elliot."

"Oh my God." He blinked, running his hand across his face. "Can this be true? Can I dare to hope?" He muttered to himself, looking completely dazed.

"Alan." I grabbed his shoulders to steady him. "It's true. We are bringing him home to you."

"I...I almost started to think I'd never see him again." His voice broke, and he leaned forward, wrapping his arms around me.

"Oh, Alan. I'm so sorry about the time you've been apart. We're gonna have him back as soon as we can."

"Thank you. Be careful." He pulled away, looking me straight in the eyes as he spoke. "Make that bastard pay for taking him, but be careful, Alex. You too, Thomas. And thank you, for everything."

He smiled at Thomas, who nodded in return. I think Alan was still too shocked to try and say anything else to us. He smiled at me, the first smile I'd seen in a long time, then proceeded to wander off towards the gardens. Probably needed time to think.

"I hope to God we didn't just raise up his hopes for nothing."

"He is going to see Elliot again if it's the last thing I do. Either we come back with him, or we don't come back at all." Thomas glared at me, as if angry that I doubted our chance at success, then got into the car, slamming the door shut behind him.

——————

By the time we got there, I was pretty fed up with Thomas. He was still pissed that I was going, and didn't say a word to me the whole drive. Well, I should say he spoke a little, just enough to shut me down every time I started talking. So, naturally, I wanted to do something to get back at him.

We arrived a little before dinner it seemed. Thomas immediately walked off with Jonathan to talk, making it very clear to me that I should not follow. Jasper was going around greeting everyone. My first reaction was pure revulsion, but Thomas was still close enough to see me, and I wanted to make him mad. So, naturally, I approached Jasper to talk to him.

Elliot was with him. I almost didn't recognize him, he was much thinner than before, and there was no bounce to his step anymore. In fact, he was limping slightly. His eyes wandered listlessly around the room, seeing everything but taking in nothing. Nothing about him spoke Elliot like it used to, and that frightened me.