Entry 25 - Unexpected Discoveries

"I just—I needed to hear a familiar voice."

Elliot's voice shook slightly, and I sat up, immediately worried by the tone of his voice.

"What's wrong? What's happening?"

"Nothing. Well, nothing in particular. I don't want to talk about that. I just want to talk to you for a little bit. Raymond didn't answer when I called."

I glanced across the pool area where I was sitting, to the tennis court where Thomas and Raymond were playing. They had both informed me, not very subtly, that I was terrible at the sport, and I should watch or go away.

"He's playing tennis with Thomas right now, but I'm sure he'll call you back soon."

"He doesn't have to. It's fine. I should go. There isn't a real reason for this call."

"There doesn't have to be a reason." I reminded him gently, but something in me knew there was a reason. He just wasn't saying it.

I could hear the sound of movement and a door closing on his end, and waited for him to answer.

"But if there isn't, I feel like I'm waisting your time."

"Elliot, I'm sitting around at Thomas' country estate. I have literally nothing to do right now, and even if I was in the middle of a hundred different things, I'd still drop it all to talk to you."

He didn't answer right away, but I could hear him take a shaky breath.

"Damn it, Alex. I swore I wasn't going to cry when I called you."

"It's alright. You can cry to me anytime you want." He chuckled softly.

"I'll try to not make a habit of it though." I smiled, but couldn't push down the nagging feeling that something wasn't right. Something he said seemed off.

"Elliot?"

"Yes?"

"When you said that you swore you wouldn't cry, was there something else you wanted to
talk to me about?"

"How do you know me so well after only a few months? Its...it's nothing really..." His voice trailed off, but I wasn't going to let him leave it at that.

"Nothing is still something to me. I want to hear about it."

"It's just that—"

His voice cut off abruptly, and I heard muffled sounds of movement and what I think I was a door closing. Then all was silent, only the sound of my own breathing could be heard.

"Elliot?"

"I-I have to go, Alex. I'll call you when I can."

And he hung up, leaving me to wonder at the sudden change in his voice.

"Why the long face?"

Raymond plopped down on the deck chair next to me, wiping the sweat off his forehead with a towel.

"I was just on the phone with Elliot, and he hung up really fast, but before that, he was going to tell me something."

Raymond's eyebrows drew together in concern.

"Why did he hang up? Do you know?"

"It sounded like maybe someone came into the room he was on, or something."

"Probably that asshole, Jasper." He scowled angrily.

"I hope he's okay. I don't want him to be in trouble or something because he was talking to me."