Entry 14 - Strange Night and Stranger Morning

I couldn't pinpoint exactly what had awoken me. I lay there, staring at the ceiling in the dark, and trying to find out what had pulled me from my slumber.

My breathing was still even. It wasn't a dream, or anything like that. I listened to the quietness around me, and then I heard it.

It was a shaky breath being drawn in, then let out. A sniff, then the breath would be let out again, shakier than before. It was the unmistakable sound of someone crying quietly to themselves.

Guilt clenched in my stomach, and I wished desperately that I was still sleeping. This was something personal, something I had no right to hear. I'd already intruded on so much of his life. I knew he would hate if I heard him cry.

It was strange to think that someone who acted so strong would be crying in the middle of the night. But was it that strange? Strange that his heart was broken and he had no other time to let his emotions go then in the dead of night.

I tried to imagine how hard it must be to act like nothing was wrong. To keep my head up and behave how a prince should, when all I wanted to do was sob my pain out.

Of course, I'd felt bad for him a few times and stuff, but I'd never actually paused to consider just how difficult this was for him. I don't mean the part about me being a guy. It's not like he had to do anything with me but kiss every once and a while. But what of the girl he had had to push a way? What of the life he had imagined with her, set aside for the good of his country? Why hadn't I taken all that into consideration when I was bugging him?

I chanced a look over in his direction, and saw his back facing me. I'm the kind of person who can't handle seeing someone else in pain. Something in me just wants to hug that person, or talk to them, or do something. I knew my hug would do no good, but watching his strong shoulders shake with his silent grief, was really hard to watch.

If I really did snore when I slept, he'd probably notice that I was up soon. My first plan was pretend I was rolling over in my sleep, and that would let him know that I wasn't fully asleep.

So I did. And instantly fell back asleep.

When I woke up again, I was alone in the bed. I checked my phone to see that it was almost 8 a.m.

Remembering what I heard in the night, I promised to myself to be kinder to Thomas today. Maybe I'd wait a little while to get back at him about the whole snoring thing.

I got ready for the day, and walked out into the living room. It was strange the way the castle was set up. You could almost go the whole day without ever leaving your rooms. I was still getting used to the whole meal thing. Some days it was brought to us, and some days we went and ate with everyone. It was kind of confusing.

The door to our apartments opened, and Thomas came in.

"Do not go out there. Your friend is flirting shamelessly with Raymond." He warned, but his eyes glittered with amusement.

"Cameron is? Well, he is determined to get a prince." Thomas shook his head.

"I would have said he didn't stand a chance, but from what I saw, it's working."

"Seriously?"

"Yes, and I'm scarred for life. There's nothing like seeing your brother flirting with someone to put you off your breakfast. You go on without me."

"So we aren't having breakfast here?"

"Oh, you can ask for it to be sent here if you want. It's really whatever you decide." He sat on the couch, leaning his head against the back of it.