Entry 50 - A Whole New Side

I was awoken by a pain so intense I couldn't breath. My stomach felt like it was on fire, shards of pain shooting through my body from the point of injury. I think I must have cried out in pain, because Thomas woke up immediately.

"What's wrong, Alex?" His voice was deeper from sleep, his touch light on my arm. It was all I could do to keep from screaming again, so I kept my mouth tightly shut, and just held onto my stomach with my hands.

It tool him a few moments to shake the sleep away, but he seemed to understand fairly quickly what was wrong.

"Alex, I'm going to get a doctor." He spoke slowly, one hand covering mine, and the other brushing the hair from my sweaty forehead.

Still not trusting my voice, I nodded, but clutched at his hand when he started to pull away. This pain was bad enough with his touch to ground me. I didn't want to be left alone for however long it took to find a nurse or doctor.

"I'll be right back." He tried to pull his hand out of mine, and I whimpered. He looked between my face and our hands, and I knew he was trying to make a decision.

"We need someone to give you your medicine. I swear I'll be back as soon as I can." He pulled his hand away harder this time, and it slipped easily out of my own weakened hands.

He was almost to the door, when he turned back to look at me.

"I'll be right back, baby." Then the door shut and I let my tears fall. The pain was unrelenting, and I no longer had Thomas' voice as a distraction.

I closed my eyes and tried to focus on something besides the pain. How it felt to fall asleep with Thomas being the one clinging to me. The look in his eyes and the sound of his voice when he called me babe or baby. I can't believe he called me that so often now.

I didn't hear the door open, or the sound of voices. Nothing really registered until I felt Thomas slip into bed beside me, his voice close to my ear.

"You're doing so good, baby. Only a few more minutes now."

I think I nodded, because I felt the tears slip from between my closed eyes. Thomas quickly wiped them away, kissing my forehead gently.

Someone was moving around to the right of me, and it must have been a few minutes later when I felt the pain start to subside. I could feel the tightness of my jaw and face start to relax, Thomas' steady breaths and gentle caresses helping me control my own breathing.

The doctor or nurse left after telling Thomas a few things, and I sighed when I finally heard the door close, turning my head to rest on Thomas' forearm he was using to hold himself up. I opened my eyes for the first time since he left, and look up into his concerned brown eyes.

"No amount of being taken care of is worth that."

He smiled softly, just looking down at me for a few moments before answering.

"I'm sorry you have to go through this."

"Well, the way I see it, there's nothing really for you to be sorry about. I mean, unless you like told Jasper to stab me or something."

"Alex." He was shaking his head, leaning closer to kiss me ever so softly.

"What?" I whispered against his mouth.

"You talk a lot."

"You know you love it."

"I wouldn't have it any other way. I can't even imagine if—"

"Stop." I brought my finger up to his mouth to silence him, and he smiled down at me. "You're kind of depressing, you know that?"

"Well, in my defense, it's been a little depressing these last few days."