Excerpt 3

"Do you know how hard it is to get a royal family to travel to another country?"

"Yes I do, so stop making excuses." I rolled my eyes at him even if I knew he couldn't see me. I wanted him to feel my scorn even through the phone.

"I have a very valid-

"It's my birthday, asshole. Come to my palace!"

"Because that doesn't sound at all pretentious." 

"Thomas." He whined, and I laughed at his different methods of persuasion, each just as bad as the one that came before. "If you don't come it's going to be boring as fuck."

"I know I'm the life and soul of any party, Jon, but when you invite me, you invite the family. And that is where the difficulties lie."

"But you can figure it out, right, Tom? For me?" The little asshole knew exactly what he was doing. I was too loyal for my own good to anyone I could call a friend. What he didn't know was how long is been trying to work up the courage to tell him I wanted to be more than friends.

"I could use my charm, I suppose. But what's in it for me?" I had already decided to convince my parents to go. Right then and there, I decided that on his fourteenth birthday, I would tell him how I really felt about him.

"The joy of seeing me." We both burst out laughing, but not for the same reasons. He didn't know how right he was. I'd do anything to be able to spend time with Jonathan.

"You better bring a present."

"My presence is a present, and don't you forget it. We'll be there." I promised.

"Yes! I knew I could count on you. I already have a bunch of pranks lined up for us to do. This is gonna be the best birthday ever."

————-

The sound of the key in the lock is what woke me. I sat up, looking around in a confused, half-asleep daze. The sound persisted, but I couldn't understand why. Why was someone trying to get into my room? If it's Jonathan, I swear to God I'll...

It wasn't Jonathan. I'd have given everything in the world for it to have been Jonathan pranking me. I'd have given the world for it to be anyone other than who it was.

If only I had known that the sleep I was woken from would be the last sleep I ever spent in innocence. The last time I could close my eyes at night with nothing to keep me awake.

I couldn't understand what he was doing in my room. It became evident much too soon.

—————-

I stared blankly at the ceiling above me, waiting for everything to register. Nothing felt real, this couldn't have happened. But the pain...that was more than real.

I knew one thing, I had to get off this bed. The sweat that covered my body was beginning to dry, everything about this bed was disgusting, and the longer I lay there, the more I began to register my situation. My head suddenly began to ache, my body felt hot like a fever was coming on. Each second I lay there the faster my heart began to beat, and the quicker my breaths came.

I pushed myself off the bed whimpering in pain, but determined just the same. I had to wash all of this away. Maybe then this feeling that was settling in my stomach would go away. Maybe if I could just wash it all away, it would be like it never happened.