Entry 52 - Old Promises and Angry Outbursts

"Of all the horrible, unfair—he totally betrayed him! He trusted him!"

"Alex—"

"No! This is too much!"

"I don't think you should be—"

"Why is everyone against this poor guy? He hasn't done them any wrong!"

"Alex, it's just a book."

Alright, so maybe it was just a book. A book that he has propped up on the pillow next to me. A book that he read while laying on his stomach, his hair a mess from sleep, and his feet swinging back and forth absentmindedly as he read.

"It might be just a book, but it feels real to me! Edmond is so young and trusting, and everyone is just using him!"

I could tell Thomas was trying his hardest to hold back a smile, and the fact that he was so amused by my outburst bothered me. I wanted to be taken seriously.

"Stop smiling at me! I'm serious. If—"

"Hi, Serious."

"Shut up!" I tried to whack him, but he rolled into his side and out of my reach. This time he couldn't hide his smile, and was laughing at my attempts to hit him.

"Get back over here so I can hit you."

"I'd rather not, thanks. Besides, you shouldn't be getting so worked up. I'm sure it's not good for you."

"I'll get as worked up as I want to. Besides, it's your fault for reading so well that the story feels real. I blame you entirely."

"Well, I'll take the compliment then. And the blame. Forgive me for reading so well. I didn't realize the extent of my abilities as a storyteller."

"Shut up, you weirdo." This time we were both laughing, and Thomas rolled back over to lay on his stomach next to me.

"Are you doing that just to make me jealous?"

"What?" He looked confused, and I gestured to how he was laying.

"I probably won't be able to do that for weeks, if not months."

The confusion fell away from his face, and he looked genuinely sorry.

"I never thought of it like that. I just found it easier to talk to you if I was facing you: I can—"

"I'm just messing with you. I like it when you lay like that and talk to me."

He smiled, closing the book he still held in his hands, and putting it near the end of the bed.

"So, what do you want to talk about?" His voice was softer than before, his eyes scanning my face as he lay close enough for me to lean up and kiss him if I wanted.

"I don't know, but this is driving me crazy. I need to get out of this room soon. I was not made to be confined."

"I know, but you're doing so well right now. You don't want to push yourself too early and make the recovery time way longer."

I sighed, and he smiled at me, the kind of smile I didn't think I'd ever get used to from him. When he looked at me like I meant the world to him, like he could spend the whole day just looking at my face and not get tired of me.

"Well, this sucks. If I had good company, maybe it would be tolerable, but as things stand..."

"Bitch, I am amazing company! I'm reading to you and everything." He shot me a reproving look.

"Ah ha! I am rubbing off on you! You just called me bitch."

"Woah, I think you are. I never call anyone that."