Entry 30 - "Stop Laughing At Me!"

"So, how did I get stuck with you again?"

"I dunno."

"Do we even know each other?"

"Nope!"

"And you're okay with that?"

"Yep." He scooted closer to me on the couch, and hugged my arm tightly. He looked up at me, small face split into a huge grin.

"I'm Walter. That's the same name as my dad." He informed me happily.

"Well hi there, Walter. I'm Alex."

"Oh I know you!" He got up on his knees so that he was eye level with me. "One time, a long time ago, we ate ice cream together!"

"Yes, we did." I was surprised at his memory, but happy that he seemed to like me.

"Do you know my uncle Thomas?"

"I think so. I'm married to him." He looked at me in disbelief.

"Are you lying to me?"

"Why would I lie to you?" He processed this for a little while, his little hand coming up to stroke his chin in the most adorable way ever.

"Oh yeah, you are. Do you want to know why I know?"

"Nothing would make me happier."

"Cause my mom said that she didn't like you. She said that Alex, and that's you," he poked my chest with his finger. "Was a gold digger who hurt my Aunt Joan. Did you hurt my Aunt Joan?"

"Hey, I've never even met your Aunt Joan!"

"Then you couldn't have hurt her."

"Exactly." He observed me for a little while in silence.

"Are you as old as my dad?"

"No."

"So he's in charge of you."

"Yeah, I guess so."

"I'm gonna be king someday."

"Congratulations."

He tilted his head to the side slightly, and i was shocked at how much he reminded me of Thomas. If that was the case, this kid was going to be a real good looker when he grew up.

"You're funny."

"Thanks, so I've been told." By this time, he had decided that the couch wasn't a good enough seat for him, and worked his way onto my lap.

"Do you have any little kids?"

"Nope."

"Too bad. I wanted someone to play with. Do you want kids?" Wow, since when did we know each other well enough for this kind of conversation? Kids really did ask the strangest questions.

"Nope."

"Why not?"

"Because I don't like kids." He looked at me in horror.

"Do you like me?"

"You're okay, I guess. I just don't have any experience with kids. I don't think I've ever even held a baby."

He laughed, throwing his head back in his merriment.

"You've never held a baby?"