Kano x Kido: Rain

Narrator POV

"I didn't bring my stupid umbrella," Kido muttered as the rain pounded against concrete.

School was now over, and everyone was making their way home or to the karaoke bars, since it was a Friday, and everyone was very lively and social at this age.

But Kido, not so much. Her daily routine consisted of her walking straight home to help Ayano make dinner for her family, and doing homework and chores to keep her busy. This has been her routine since her mother Ayaka had died.

Now 16, she has grown to be mature and quiet at school, and a tsundere at home. She hasn't had a friend since forever, not counting Ayano and her brothers. Her father always had work on his hands, his kindness fading away just a little each day.

Patiently, she waited a while to see if the rain would stop, but it only got worse. She sighed, wondering if Seto and Kano made it home before her. The school grounds were almost empty now, and it had started to get foggy.

Kido POV

Guess I'll just walk like this. There's no point in waiting anymore. It looks like it's only getting worse. I ran towards my home, my backpack being the only protection I had from the rain. In the distance I could see a group of people who were taking shelter at a bus stop.

As I walked closer, I noticed that it was a group of girls, swooning over Kano, just like they usually do at school. My stomach began to hurt, as it always would whenever I see Kano in this... situation.

I kept on walking forward, casually stepping on puddles, as if I didn't notice them. As I passed by, I could've sworn Kano looked at me in a weird, non-brotherly way, as if I was a... girl. Like one of the girls he would swoon over. I swear, I always imagine weird things. Soon I heard footsteps coming my way. A hand grabbed mine.

"Tsubomi," said a familiar voice. I turned to see that Kano had excused himself from the girls, which had headed a different direction, their voices bouncing off the streets. Me and kano were alone at the bus stop.

"What?" I said, irritation coating my voice. Kano didn't let go of my hand.

"Let's go walk home together." he suggested, smiling his famous deceiving smile. I frowned.

"Uh, sure," I replied. He still didn't let go of my hand.

Silently, he led me towards the direction of our home, his feet occasionally stepping on a puddle, the water splashing against my legs. My uniform was getting soaked, and my hair was sticking to my face.

Good. All we have to do is turn around this corner and we'll be home-

Kano took the opposite direction, his motives unknown.

"What are you-?"

"Look, Tsubomi-chan! I found a shrine the other day, and I wanted to show you," he said innocently. I nodded, while thinking up a mental map in my head. I don't remember there being a shrine near our home.

"Okay," I muttered. Quickly, we took cover in the shrine, the little roof being enough cover from the rain. Kano finally let go of my hand, which for some reason made me feel.. sad.

He looked my way but quickly turned the other way, as if he'd seen something weird. He took off the jacket part of his uniform, and threw it at me.

"Put this on," he ordered. I couldn't see his face, but I could've sworn I saw a hint of pink cover his cheeks.

"I don't need it," I replied. Sure, I was soaking wet, but I wasn't cold. He nodded his head in disagreement.

"Tsubomi?"