2| Constant Vigilance

Classes, were in Hermione's opinion, not productive whatsoever

Classes, were in Hermione's opinion, not productive whatsoever. That may just have been, since every student was talking in hushed whispers about Grindelwald. There was a rumor going around that he had escaped from prison just the day before.

"Don't you look like a ray of sunshine." Hermione said as Tom climbed into the seat next to her, and placed some parchment on the desk.

"Do I usually look like a dark storm cloud?"

"No." Hermione said but grinned cheekily at him.

"Can I try something Granger?" He asked just as the professor brought the attention of the class to her.

"Sure." She whispered, before starting to copy down notes. But seconds later she had forgotten about that strange question, and did not ponder it, for she was immensely focused.

"Now what is required to detect a defensive ward?" The professor spoke.

Hermione knew the answer, and as usual was going to raise her hand. But she didn't. It's not that she didn't, but she couldn't. She looked at her hand, and it seemed to have a mind of its own, and also felt the weight of lead.

Don't raise your hand. Don't move it, keep it still. A voice spoke in her head, forcefully, and very eerily. But then she realized it was her own. Her own voice telling her not to raise her hand. Don't raise your hand, don't, don't raise it!

But then it stopped. The sound in the room came back, and the voice was gone. Hermione lifted her hand freely. It felt lighter.

She furrowed her eyebrows. "Something wrong Granger?" Tom questioned from beside her.

"Actually Yes. I couldn't-." She stopped speaking and looked at him. He held a stern face that seemed to be hiding a smirk.

"You couldn't What?" He asked innocently.

"You know don't you." She scoffed, realizing it was him. "Which curse?"

"Just a simple imperious." He stated nonchalantly.

"May I ask why?"

"I think you can fight it."

She gave him a skeptical look. "Does this have anything to do with Grindelwald."

"No. I think you just ought to be prepared for anything that's out there."

"You sound like Harry." Hermione mentioned, regretting it for it saddened her slightly.